creating cabin tops in freeship

Discussion in 'Software' started by rapscallion, Nov 5, 2007.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Is there a tutorial on creating cabin tops in freeship?

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I doubt that there is a tutorial. I extend edges or add "cyclinders" to expand the model. A cylinder with two points is a flat plate.

Exporting and importing "parts" can be useful as well. The same parts can be used in different designs.

There are usually more than one way to do something. As far as I can see there is nothing it cannot do with a bit of effort and typically it is simple once you find the way.

I have now got some proficiency with FreeShip and it comes from just using it. Certainly frustrating at first. My biggest step was learning to use the mouse buttons to zoom in or zoom out and move the image around the screen. This allows you to get close to detail. If you have a lot of detail then make different layers so you can hide parts.

Hope this helps. If you want something specific then post your model file and ask the forum members to add what you want. You can then ask how it was done. I have found others problems useful in working out better ways.

Rick W.

3. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

I give up

With the measurements in hand I was able to make a decent looking hull bottom on Delftship. But it's beyond this dummy. It'll take more time to draw it correctly (with topside detail) in the program than to build the darn thing by hand.

I think I'll have to leave 3D drawing to people who understand it and I'll stick to dealing with the ichy resin stuff.

TC

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I said it can be frustrating.

Like all things that are worthwhile doing it takes practice and you get better with practice. Keep in the back of your mind that it is possible and should be easy and you just have to work out the best way. Sometimes you just have to have a break and rethink what you are doing.

Rick W.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I tried for literally 100,s of hours, got not far, except ion freeship, I then met a member who tutored me online , we voiced in msn, we had rhino open, but for him I would still be looking at the pages
    So, find a tame tutor

6. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

Great idea Jack and thanks for the inspiring words Rick. I think around February I'll be able to talk someone up north into flying down to help on Rhino and go to the beach in the meantime!

Tony

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.