sleeping quarters

Discussion in 'Stability' started by yacht picasso, Jul 22, 2007.

1. yacht picasso

yacht picasso Junior Member

Are there parts of a ship where sleeping quarters are not suitable for placing??....

perhaps the Bow, because it suffers more oscilation... the extremities of the Beam, because due to the ship design there is more transverse oscillation.... etc..

or has it got nothing to do with anything i said or think??....

thanks

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Danmed if I know but most sleeping quarters seem to be in the bow section.

I would assume that most people sleep in their boats while anchored which would dampen the movement somewhat.

Poida

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The "best" place for berths is where the motion is least. On large boats this is no big deal and there is plenty of room for the staterooms there. Small boats take more compromises. Most will wind up with berths in the bow. That is because most will prefer a location where the permanent berths don't need to be converted for daytime use every day. On mid size boats this can be accomplished by placing them in a stern cabin which is more comfortable in a seaway and also quieter.

Still, even mid sized boats tend to have the main berths forward. It allows a better and more accessible cockpit than the aft cabin and boat design is all compromises. If the boat is mostly in a marina at night, it makes little difference for noise and motion. Motion in a decent anchorage is not a big issue but noise from chines or spray rails takes some getting used to. Not a big deal for a dedicated sailor but the reluctant spouse may use it as an excuse to stay ashore. If not that, it would be something else. Boat widows are very common.:D

4. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Depends on the size of the boat, the use of the boat.
    The most comfortable in a seaway would be amidship.
    For cruising, if your under 40 ft. you probably don't want guests for more than a weekend, so make a double berth out of the settee, v berth or whatever forward .
    Put the guests in the v berth and maybe they won't want to over stay their welcome.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I sleep on the floor,,,,by the radio,,it is also the lowest center of gravity,longliner

6. Catsailor

Catsailor Boatbuilder & sailor

I'm considering putting a bunk into the dinghy for my partner and towing it behind the boat. It might not be too comfortable for her, but it sure would improve sleeping conditions for those of us on board. Her snoring ability is legendary!

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Still, even mid sized boats tend to have the main berths forward. It allows a better and more accessible cockpit than the aft cabin and boat design is all compromises. If the boat is mostly in a marina at night, it makes little difference for noise and motion. Motion in a decent anchorage is not a big issue but noise from chines or spray rails takes some getting used to. Not a big deal for a dedicated sailor but the reluctant spouse may use it as an excuse to stay ashore. If not that, it would be something else. Boat widows are very common.

Spouse staying ashore Tom?

Sounds good to me.

Anyway her and my girlfriend tend to clash.

Catsailor has got a good idea, but I would incorporate that with a hydraulic operated pin that is connected to the GPS that actuates the pin around 20kms from shore, releasing the dinghy.

I don't mean that, I love my wife.

And my girlfriend.

Poida

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I am currently playing around with a 27 ft St Pierre dory, cabin arrangements, etc.. The cabin hasn't got standing headroom (the draft is too little).
    Yet I wasn't happy with a V berth either, which would seem to be the natural choice. I tried quarter berths, but then the galley isn't under the hatch, a must on a low-overhead boat. Then I tried moving the hatch forward past the quarter berths (so that there was a boxed in area just aft of the companionway), but alas, now I've got two lovely quarter berths, and no way to get into them!
    I haven't given up yet. I can make the galley counters hinge up. Now I have the quarter berths and a galley under the hatch. No place to eat now, unless I forget about a toilet. We'll see.

Alan

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I was thinking when I redo my boat, I'd change my V berth into a triangular berth. For some reason the habit of having a walkway between berths seems to be the done thing.

I am going to make the whole bow area bed.

Poida

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A walk way between the bunks is a good idea for various reasons. You can arrange cupboards and drawers rather than a big hole that cant be accesed if someone is in bed.

It also cuts down on uneccesary fornication which can be distracting to other members of the crew. Its not easy trying to fix a position on the chart when A member of the crew is ramining hise wifes (or someones wifes ) head through the anchor locker door.

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

No such thing as unnecessary fornication...At my age rare, yes, but never unnecessary....

But I concur with the line that the best sleeping area is amidships - less motion. But on smaller vessels designers tend to stick them in the bows. Drier I suppose...But noisy in a blow especially if the contents of your chain locker are loosely stowed.

12. Catsailor

Catsailor Boatbuilder & sailor

I'm glad I joined this forum - one learns such interesting new social habits from one's peers. Poida's idea of a hydraulic release pin is excellent.

13. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Catsailor, I'm glad you like the idea. I don't design boats, I design materials handling equipment.

This includes, hydraulics, pneumatics and PLC automation.

I can design any spouse eradication system using any of these modes of engineering.

O.J.Simpson opened up a whole new branch of engineering which although is time consuming, works.

My system involves a 24 volt transformer, a rectifier, a few limit switches, relays and a PLC O.J's just needs a knife.

Guess, cost wise O.J. wins.

If your spouse is a fast runner and your using an electric knife, make sure you have a long extension cord.

Poida

14. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Last trip out to the gulf stream, left VA beach to fish off hatteras. Lumpy waves, wind, left @ 0330, in a carolina style 60' custom.
    Friend who had done a season of halibut fishing in Alaska stepped aboard, walked into main cabin, lay down on floor.
    Rest of us went for bunks below.
    A couple of feet above CG, on a nice carpeted "bed" my friend slept well, even running at 20 in slop. Not so the rest of us.
    Put the beds in the middle if you can!

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

When I was thirteen, I got to sail on a big liner from LaHavre to NYC. It was the USS United States. Rough seas for a couple of days, and everyone got sick. I didn't, but I got close. I went to the swimming pool, dead amidships, and went in and floated on my back. If I opened my eyes, I saw the water to each side rising and falling as the ship rolled---- very interesting.
    I was in the center of the pool, however, and I felt zero movement. Never did get sick.
    fun voyage, by the way. I took my brother, eleven years old, and we "investigated" the whole ship. Saw first class, tourist class, crews quarters, jumping fences right and left, found a pulpit right up in the bow, hung out over the bow wave outside the rail, we did.
    Nuts to grown-ups!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.