Stabalizing a small steel boat

Discussion in 'Stability' started by mwatts, Sep 16, 2009.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I agree with Piston and the others in that we can't tell much from a couple of pictures, none of which really give us a good idea of all the shapes, nor how she "trims out" both static and underway.

The lower portions of the hull look doryish, but it's hard to tell with the odd angles. I suspect it draws too much for it's available power.

I disagree in the bilge runners. The hull looks to have little rocker and if she sits as I suspect, she's not going to have sections immersed enough for runners to be particularly effective. Also runners are only really effective across a fairly narrow S/L range, further limiting their desirability.

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

also we dont know what the propulsion power is or projected speed ...if its going to be run on the equivalent of an english canal at 4mph ( god save you brits ) or on more open water .......????

I always find it very irritating when people come on here ..ask a question and we all run around like headless chickens trying to help ...then silence no response or thanks .....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  3. JFdez

JFdez New Member

Boat stability

I don`t suggest you to improve the stability with sand bags. It would be a non comfortable a non sure option.

Think about the possibility of welding a plate in both sides, p.e. 30 cm in width over the (entire?) length of the ship. The size and the best location of the plate on each side is easy to find from simple forces calculations. I think this is the most cheap and easiest way to solve the problem. In addition, the "ship cosmetics" will not be altered.

If you prefer I can help you with the calculations (scantlings, etc.)

Bye

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That wasnt the suggestiom The sand bags were to provide a way of testing bouyancy *before* any type of permanent weight was added.

You can have sand bags to represent crew members, and other sand bags to represent permament ballast, and thereby test the result before doing any major structural additions.

Either that, or you could digitise the whole boat and calculate the numbers. Sandbags are probably a cheaper way to go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.