vdrive solution needed

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by owensp, Jun 25, 2021.

1. owensp

owensp Junior Member

Dear members,

anyone out there with a good vdrive system in a sailing boat of around 40ft length size? . i have a very old transfer box (unknown manufacturer) , redirecting the transmission from gearbox to the prop in a 1:1 ratio. But the boat suffers from excessive noise and vibration when under engine. I think that the vdrive now needs to be replaced but its quite hard to find a replacement . the closest match i have found is one from twindisc which comes with an integrated gearbox, which would mean the existing gearbox is removed as not needed anymore.
    i havent found anyone who could repair these or even source a similar unit.
    any thoughts on what to do? any suggestions would be welcome.
    I have attached a few pictures to give you an idea of the existing setup.
    thanks
    Peter

Attached Files:

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Any competent automotive or industrial transmission shop can refurbish a V-drive, it's just bearings and gears. Finding one willing to do it is another matter.
    Are you sure the noise and vibration are from the transfer case? Everything else has been excluded, meaning you have new engine mounts, new cutless, etc.?

3. owensp

owensp Junior Member

Thanks Rumars, the attachment points for the vdrive have also become worn - and i suspect may be difficult to repair as its aluminium.
    i was planning to replace the cutlass and rubber feet on engine , but wanted to get a solution for the vdrive.

Peter

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

From what I see on the pictures the V-drive is rigidly bolted to a plate, that in turn is bolted to the supports on the stringers. What is there to wear out, the bolt holes in the casing? If that is the case just use the next larger diameter bolt, and this time make sure it won't unscrew from vibration (lockwire/nuts, double nuts, loctite, etc.).
    To see if the V-drive is worn, turn it by hand and try to shake the input and output shafts. If you feel play, you probably need new bearings. New gears would only be necessary if someone run it without oil, they usually last a lifetime.

5. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Careful alignment of components is critical to smooth operation of a remote V drive.
    This can be frustrating, but is worth the effort.
    The soft mounts on the motor may be at odds with the rigid mounted v drive, as there are no cv joints between.
    I see a couple of drivesavers in the pics, do not use those to “cure” misalignment, or do the job of cv joints, and don’t do alignment with them in place. Solid spacers only, in fact, I would do away with the drivesavers in favor of solid spacers.
    The solid metal frame that carries all the components is a big plus, keeps relationships constant.
    V drives are always a PITA to align, often requires working backwards or out both directions from the middle.
    Heavy gear oil is ok to use in those old units, might help the noise factor.

6. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I realize you're in Ireland. This might not be a practical solution for you but there is a reputable manufacturer of v-drives here in the United States. You might want to contact Walter Gear. They are located in Jersey City, New Jersey. I just replaced a 47 year old unit of their manufacture (they've been in business for 94 years) which performed just fine. I needed to change gear ratios and it was only a bit more to simply replace my old drive vs. a rebuild.

If you worry about shipping you needn't. My unit weighs about 100 pounds. Came in the sturdiest cardboard box I've ever seen. They wrapped the unit in a plastic bag and then poured dense expanding foam into the box. Getting the v-drive out of the box was almost as much work as installing it in the boat. Very well protected.

Mine was a direct mount but Walter also makes remote mount v-drives. I agree with Kapnd that alignment is tedious but work patiently and methodically and you'll be fine.

The Walter Machine Machine Co., Inc. http://waltergear.com

Good luck,

MIA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.