Opinions re: Saga 409?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Au111, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Au111

Au111 New Member

My wife and I are considering placing a deposit on a Saga 409 but I'm curious about a few design elements.

First, does any one have firm data or experience with Kevlar E-glass and vinylester resin construction when it comes to impact resistence and osmotic damage? And if this material is so light, why does a 40'er displace 19,000 lbs as its "light ship" weight?

Does anyone have a drawing showing the keel shape/form? It has been described to me as a winged keel, which at a draft of 5'8" I imagine it would have to be. The drawings I've seen have either omitted the keel or disclaimed the shape as being not representative.

I'm intrigued by the psuedo-Solent rig (they call it "Variable Geo"), in that they use a Code 0 on the forward furler rather than a true overlapping genoa. I wonder whether the boat will go from underpowered with the 105% jib to overpowered with the Code 0, and never achieve a decent balance. Also, light air upwind sounds like it might be a very slow point of sail.

Any opinions on Tony Castro as a designer for small cruising yachts? I tend to shy away from anyone who had alot of IOR success, but his recent designs look good, and I note that he penned a recent TP52. . . .

Any unsolicted comments on the design/construction/business practices of Saga? Are there any other 2 cabin/1 head, 40-ish foot, moderate displacement, raised salon yachts that we should consider?

Cheers,

Al

2. hamid_amini320

hamid_amini320 Junior Member

hi any on
    i want approximATE EQUATION FOR WAVE RESISTANCE FOR SAILING BOAT

3. Au111

Au111 New Member

Yes, indeed. Thank you.

4. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Al,

The Saga looks like a pretty nice boat, as are many others in this size range, each with its own personality. The key is not just finding a good boat, but one that suits *you.*

To get a better answer, you should mention what you'll be using this boat for, how, and where. Will you be crossing oceans, harbor hopping down the coast, pottering around the Pacific Northwest, or scraping reefs in the Bahamas? Are you a "do or die" sailor, or do you like to be comfortable and tend to motor a lot? How long are your voyages? Do you stay in marinas or anchor out? Have you owned or spent much time on certain boats before? What did you like or not like about them? What would you like to have that these boats didn't offer?

Another raised salon boat you might consider is the Valiant 42RS. I like raised salon boats, so I can see out rather than be stuck down in a hole, as with most sailboats. However, most seem to have the galley forward and below, so the cook is left out of the conversation. The Valiant lets everyone be in the same "room" together. The Valiant is certainly a proven cruiser, if not the prettiest boat out there. It's seaworthy, roomy, and comfortable, with ample storage and tankage, and good performance under sail or power.

The Saga does look nice. I like the other Saga designs too. I think the whole point of its rig is that the sails are indeed appropriately sized. The working jib is large enough for moderate conditions. The drifter is suitable for light air upwind, and/or downwind all the time.

I wouldn't be so down on IOR designers. Some of the best were and are still some of the best, whatever they're designing. S&S, Frers, Peterson, Farr, etc., have all produced fine and seaworthy cruising sailboats. Personally, I'd still take an old Kelly-Peterson 44 over a Saga or a Valiant! Frers' Swans aren't too shabby either.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.