gunter rig on a 23 ft cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by brendan gardam, Mar 2, 2020.

1. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

hi all, as part of my quest to make my international 23 a proper trailersailer i like the idea of a gunter rig with its shorter spars for easy storage and assembly. i know nothing about them apart from looking at pictures. just wondering if it would perform similar to the bermudan rig or will there be a substantial loss of performance. am i on the right track or is it a waste of time. my ultimate goal is to be able to tow the boat to the ramp and have it ready to launch in 30 minutes or so. from previous experience long setup times equals a loss of interest and the boat never leaves the yard. i had a comet 20 which i could setup and launch in 15 minutes, it was great. then i had a matilda 20 which took 45 minutes to set up and that was painful.

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

I thought of the gunter really hard but didn't do it. I am glad I went with the normal mast. Just use the trailer winch to lift the mast. That is what I do and it is nice and easy. If you like, you could get an electric winch with a remote, the remotes are cheap on ebay. Then you get easier retrieval plus you can be on the boat whilst the mast is being winched up.

3. brendan gardam

thanks catsketcher. trailer already has an electric winch with remote so i do that. if you didn't go ahead with a gunter there must good reason not to. probably best to try using what i have before i go changing things. the size of the mast scares me a bit though.

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Kohler uses a gunter on his 650. He sells the rig plan for 25$.

5. brendan gardam

thanks rumars. great video

6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You are welcome. If you convert to sliding gunter your sailmaker will hate you and you loose the ability to fly bigger foresails (no running backs and masttop kite possible). If that is important for you look at a two piece mast. Launching in 30 min is more of a trailer setup problem then a mast size one.

brendan gardam likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.