Square Balestron Rig?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by misanthropicexplore, Jan 23, 2019.

1. misanthropicexplore

misanthropicexplore Junior Member

I'm aware of the basic compromises involved in square rigged vs. fore-and-aft rigged. What sort of compromises would be unique to making a Balestron with an upper spar to mirror the lower boom, producing a sort of rectangular Balestron?

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

You may have seen this before-as close as I know of to what you describe:

Maltese Falcon:
    Maltese Falcon 2.jpg

3. misanthropicexplore

misanthropicexplore Junior Member

I don't think so? A balestron rig is uses two sails, with one of them being sleeved. The DynaRig is ahead of the mast.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I can't think of a rig that more closely fits your description in post #1 than the Falcons rig.....

5. tlouth7

tlouth7 Senior Member

This sounds pretty close to the split junk rig, just without the intermediate battens (boomlets). I suspect that it would be a challenge to achieve sufficient luff tension for a "square balestron" with a yard of reasonable weight.

NB this is not a square rig in the conventional sense as it has a luff and leach that are distinct.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.