steering swivel tube too high

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Feb 14, 2019.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I've lifted the transom on my 14ft speedboat 3", the problem is the steering cable is fixed where it comes through the splash well.
    I've noticed on most boats that the steering cable isn't fixed where it enters the splashwell.
    The steering cable end looks like it won't fit onto the swivel tube and bolt up.
    Is there a difference in types of steering cables,and the way they connect up?.
    I can replace the cable if need be, but the present one worked well on the other outboard before I changed the transom height.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You seemingly need some kind of ball-joint fitting. Look at what is available in the steering cable maker's catalogues.

3. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Hi Mr E,
    I think I have sussed it,
    if I remove the fixed ball joint steering connection in the splashwell wall, and replace the steering cable, I can connect the new cable without it being fixed in the wall. After looking at a few setups, most boats don't have a fixed connection in the wall.
    There's not enough height in the splashwell to lift the present ball joint up 3", so a free running cable will be the solution I think.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.