Spruce veneer covering metal mast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kellyp08, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Petros

Petros Senior Member

DeLoreans do get painted, they just never came that way from the factory.

[​IMG]
    a taxi Delorean!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Well, once they left the factory they were yours to do what you like with. :rolleyes:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The DeLorean panels were 304 Stainless, apparently. The stuff seems to acquire a bit of "colour" itself out in the weather for a long time.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

DeLoreans can be painted, though it kills their value. There's a company in Texas (I think) that completely redoes them (restore) and a great place to get parts or help, oif you happen to have one of these bricks.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Strange about Hollywood choosing the terms Flux and Capacitor. Flux is the term generally associated with the magnetic(H) fields of Inductors and not the Electric (E) fields of Capacitors. In navigational instruments we run into the term "Flux Gate Compass" of course associated with their magnetic field sensing coils (Inductor) windings. My first Flux Gate Compass cost me in excess of $500. about 20 odd years ago. 2 years ago i bought an identical used version for $50.00. Beautiful instruments.

7. PAR

Flux is an interesting word that most don't get. As a verb it's to flow, melt, liquify or expel. As a noun, it's all over: a tide can be in flux (flow), on going change or movement. In chemistry it's used to define oxide removal or block it, also as a coagulant or salt binder. With physics it's the expression of flow rate (energy or particle) or field strength. In mathematics it's a transport vector (again a surface area integral), though is also applied in a scalar (current density).

George, I paid $150 for my first pocket calculator, which was the first or one of them available on the market. This same calculator is still available, now with a little printer roll attached for $10 at Wal-Mart.

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

It's definately one of those English words that lends it's meaning to context of which i can't resist adding another. The old English expression of someone highly excited " all in a flux" as all in a "tizzy". :D

Paul bet that calculator was a Texas Instrument Programmable using a magnetic stick. Buddy of mine had one and tried his best to teach this here dumb creature how to operate it. Well then as now I soon reached my limit. :) Ya, all sons of mothers who smoked "Lucky Strikes" should not stress their brain and work with their hands. On the other hand, "String Theory" now there's an interesting subject ---

9. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Wont the masts of such a boat be getting lines and sails, etc getting dragged over the masts? Sounds like any veneer would soon be destroyed or look ratty.

10. PAR

The veneer will suffer the same fate as any solid or hollow wooden mast. Some abrasion damage, but if the mast is cared for, just some finish touch up each season.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.