Sprit Sail design Q's

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by minno, Aug 21, 2015.

1. minno

minno Junior Member

Hi All

I'm making a little 35 sq ft poly tarp sprit sail, I've read a half dozen tutorials and a few mention that the grommets for lacing the sail to the mast were too far apart or too close together, but none say why or how far apart they should be, any Ideas?

minno

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The spacing is a function of the mast diameter. When you lash the sail on, you don't wind it around the mast in a spiral. You go back and forth so that the sail will raise and lower better. There is an angle to the wrap that works best. The spacing appears to be about 4 mast diameters judging from old photos. I've seen this written down somewhere, but can't remember where.

3. minno

minno Junior Member

Thanks Phil, I'll give that spacing a try and see how it looks, it's on an 8' mast so I had planned to attach the sail permanently at the throat and wrap it around the mast to stow it.

minno

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Then you would be far better off sewing a sleeve. Laces just concentrate the load which must then be distributed again. Laces primary function is allowing the sail to be lowered -a sleeve piles up at the mast. No hoist, no reason for laces.

5. minno

minno Junior Member

good point, I didn't have access to a sewing machine for this sail so it's made with carpet tape and the wide Gorilla tape, seems to be working ok although it's much too small, I'll be making a bigger sail soon and Ill see about borrowing a sewing machine.

minno

Attached Files:

• sail.jpg
      sail.jpg
      File size:
      231 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.