Sprit rig question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rgranger, Feb 25, 2010.

1. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I built a whitehall with a spritsail rig, she went very well & the sail was cut pretty flat, it was loose footed without a boom so downwind tended to generate rolling if you were not careful.
    The ultimate spritsail rig was that of the Thames barge & they were handled by very small crews reputedly a man & boy. Probably the most efficient cargo carrying hull & rig ever evolved for the job they were intended for.

2. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Messabout... My belated thanks as well for the good points you made about loose-footed mains and their pros and cons...The bimini will probably get in the way alot...it's huge and since I got it for free and it's all stainless frame so I was really hoping to work it into the boat's overall rig somehow...just not likely to happen and like I mentioned...a small boat like my 20-footer is hard to rig a bimini efficiently... even when unfurled.... it will make for messy cockpit rails...Maybe I should have kept that big sombrero hat I used to have...think I got it a garage sale...Ranger if your still around..crab claws are cool...especially on a cat...

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I would suggest caution when using non-working area. I did some experimenting with sails on a kayak some years back, and it worked well on all points except upwind. I believe this was due to the paddler's frontal area creating drag.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.