Spreaders: Pivot or not

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Scott Carter, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

In general terms are there convincing arguments for spreaders which pivot or for spreaders which are fixed rigidly to the mast? Also, what about aft rake of the spreaders?
    As all rigs have their own peculiarities, if an answer might depend on the rig's specifics, this is a gaff rigged schooner, main mast 78' above deck to the peak with 2 pairs of spreaders which will manage a single shroud per side. The foremast is similarly rigged, about 9 feet shorter.
    On each mast there will be 3 lower shrouds per side attached just below the lower pair of spreaders led down to chainplates.
    Good info appreciated.
    Scott

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Since your boat is a gaff schooner, compromises made in aspect ratio, luff length, hull and appendages, pretty much excludes bar taunt headstay needs for windward work. Typical of this rig type would be stiff masts, heavy booms, generous staying and less need for a real tight rig. A conventional straight out, floating spreader (outboard end), that bisects the shroud, will do you no harm, is easier to tune and maintain, in general and quite keeping with the rig's abilities and style.

3. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

Thanks Par. The masts (as you've read in other threads) is heavy, and given a de-shrouding situation I'm confident would stay upright and possibly carry some sail too. Though the booms are hollow, they're still thick walled and heavy. I've considered this a plus for our ocean passages ahead.
    What's a bar taunt headstay? If you can please expound on this because I'm not thoroughly versed on which shrouds/stays should be taught (same as taunt?) and which ones slack. I'l have running backstays on the main but no backstays other than the triatic on the foremast.
    Thanks for your help.
    Scott

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.