Sun resistant primer?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by massandspace, Jan 12, 2022.

1. massandspace

massandspace Junior Member

Hello

I am in the unique position of having to paint (prime) an epoxy boat I just built, but that will NOT be able to be final sanded and painted for quite some time.....say 1-2 years.

My plan is to use several thick coats of Interlux Epoxy Primecoat. Later I would then sand into that to achieve the final paintable surface. But that coating is an “epoxy” and I know that epoxies may suffer degradation under UV light sitting for so long.

Is that a good option? Others? And no, I really do NOT want to completely sand off later whatever I apply now.....no! I would like to just surface sand the coating later and final paint.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

What size / type of boat is it?
    Would it be possible / feasible to simply cover it with a tarpaulin after you paint it, in order to stop the UV rays from troubling it?

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

All primers lack uv protection. It is one of the distinctions between primers and paints.

Prime and paint with the intended final paint system. In a year or three sand smooth and repaint. You shouldn't have to reprime.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Paint the primer with latex. Since you are planning on sanding it, the extra work won't be too much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.