Building a center counsel "Need HELP!"

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ryanpratt, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

Building a center console "Need HELP!"

Hello Boat design.net!

I am new at building and would like some help. I would like to build a counsel out of fiberglass and a non-organic core material but dont know where to start i have not been able to find any book or information.

I am very proficient with wood as im a carpenter and have done small gel coat and fiberglass jobs but have never build something fore the marine environment from the ground up. I could build with marine ply and glass and fill no problem but i would like to explore a more modern approach to construction and would like to have 0% wood in the final product.

Please take a look at the design bellow and let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

Updated pic

This will be a shock mitigating jockey counsel. The weight and stress of the seat/shock will be an external aluminum mount that bolts to deck so structural load will not need to be transferred to counsel.
    [​IMG]

This design is property of Hawser Inc. I have spent a lot of time on this design so please respect and dont copy.

3. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Were you looking for the word console?

What kind of boat is this going on? You seem to be missing some controls.

I also worry about the structural issue of it leaning forward like that. If the boat hits a wave hard and pitches the operator forward, then you could be placing a lot of tension stress on the lower portion. I would put the front bottom edge farther forward, and modify the main upright to eliminate that shelf. (The shelf looks hard to build, useless for storing anything, and just another nook for dirt to build up in. Plus your structural stress vectors would be a little more even.)

Generally I've found structures that rely on compression at their joints when they are on sudden loads to be more reliable than those relying on tension. Basically if someone is forced into the console you have the weight placed nearly above the most forward part of the base, making a pivot point that relies on the rear of the unit to not break and pitch forward. If you allow impact stress forces to go down and forward you generally have a stronger structure.

What did you design this in? Nice render style.

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You may want to consider a storage box in front to fortify the structure and make good use of wasted space (nobody can stand there anyway, they'd block your view).

Also, the light will reflect back in your eyes off the forward half on the boat. Bow lights are better but a hand held one will often do depending on your needs.

-Tom

5. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

Google SketchUp.

6. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

The strength comes from an aluminum substructure you can't see as it is internal. I'm quite confident in the Consoles structure my real question is in the construction or layup method i should use.

I'm aware of the lights refraction on the bow, the light will be removable and held in the hand.
    You are seeing only the counsel and not controls or any of the other elaments in the design I have all this in other detailed file with full measurements. My focus at this point is construction, or rather materials.

Thanks in advance for your feedback guys.

[​IMG]

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Heey, great idea for a seat. I was going to make mine a permanent mount (like a surf ski) , but the sprung, adjustable 'bike' seat looks a much better idea. You can probably design it as removable if desired. In fact, the whole console could be easily removable with a bit of thought.

The handy light is a great concept. You will be putting the throttle, gear change and ignition start on the side like the picture below, I assume.

I want the console for a motor/trailer/sailer (eg Macgregor26) sort of design. Trying to sit on a sloping seat is the pits, but you get unstable if you try to stand and duck the boom.

I would try building the outer shell in high density foam, with a heavy fibreglass exterior. You could assemble the shell in a U shape, glass it all around and bolt it to the aluminium sub structure. The remaining open side could be a removable 'lid' - that would make maintenance access easy.

Do you need a builder/distributer in Australia ? :)

Attached Files:

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

You have already a Aluminium structure to hold it. So, the most logical solution is to make it from Aluminium.

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sound and logical engineering advice, certainly. My preference would be for something more inert like fibreglass, to avoid extremes of heat and cold, and the rare risk of electrical problems.

In small boats, its surprising how often you have to come in contact with something in the middle of the cockpit. Maybe there should be padding on the surface as well as the seat.

10. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

Thanks for the comments, we are not looking for and distributors yet but keep following us and as soon as we come out of R&D we can talk again.

11. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

Would rather build structure out of fiberglass so we can produce quicker and cheaper.

Keep the good advice coming, but please help me with the layup or techniques. I am thinking fiberglass honeycomb core and vacuum?

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It will take a two or three part mold, which is no problem, but it will be a struggle laminating the top of the console, which would be the bottom of the mold.

You would need a split mold to keep the part from being locked into the mold by it's shape. It also seems you would have an access panel on the finished console to attach and detach steering, instrument's etc. So if you left a hole in the mold where the access panel on the finished console would be, that would give you enough access to laminate the 'bottom' of the mold, or the top of the console.

The layup would depend somewhat on the support structure. The layup might be sort of a guess, as in make one, take it out and abuse it, see what happens and adjust. When things are through bolted or screwed or attached to consoles, they need solid backing. I don't know if honeycomb core would be solid enough.
    You could put solid core where you knew it was needed, if you knew what and where everything was going to be attached, but if they were sold as bare consoles and everyone put their own stuff on it, it becomes a little different.

It's a nice looking console, I like it.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I was thinking about the comments regarding unintended impacts on the console (hitting a log, sandbar etc).

The basic boat wheel has the same problems as the old '50s cars, protruding centre, hard spokes. etc

What problems would there be if the wheel was flush with the console, with no protrusions, and had ridges instead of spokes so you cant put your hand through to have it trapped against the console. Heck, lets put high density impact rubber on the top as well. Put some padding around the instruments, and you could lean forward or back on it for a rest, or avoid serious impact injury when the boat stops unexpectedly.

Anyone ever see a boat with something like that ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  14. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

15. ryanpratt

ryanpratt Ryan

How would you build this SamSam? A two part mold or as a cross section so two half? Would you also suggest a solid, any brand of core you like?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.