Swiftcraft Half Cabin F/glass with volvo penta stern drive

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bert007, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bert007

bert007 Junior Member

Hey all,
    can anyone enlighten me on these boats ? this is an 181/2 foot half cab with opening hatch from cab to bow. It has a window each side of the hatch and one longer window down each side, it has a top screen one peice across front.with two triangulated sections ( small ) on each sideIt has one rib halfway between the waterline and the rail.Any info would be appreciated. Cheers, Bert

2. bert007

bert007 Junior Member

Swiftcraft Seagull

I have now got this old gem home. It was a poor performewr on the first day out. It revs freely in neutral but under way the engine loads up and will not exceed 5knots. The engine starts ok and will idle . It is a Volvo Penta Sterndrive AQ115A/ 100 any ideas on why.? I will reset the valves and check points and plugs timing but seems odd that it will rev easily > cheers, Bert:(

3. bert007

bert007 Junior Member

Early Penta "74 Water Pumps

This has 3/8 as Id and JP cast in it. It needs a new rear seal on the shaft and the shaft aint that smooth. I considered an electric upgrade but I would need to create the same flow rate to keep things cool. It was struggling to keep the heat down last time out and i have also observed that the pickup grate on the inlet has had one edge grazed and that may make the water flow over the pickup irregular or turbulent. The original design incorporated a sea water filter also and there appears to be no apparent device to flush the engine of seawater in the cooling system. Some thoughts on this are appreciated.
    cheers, Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.