Tutorials for boatdesign in SolidWorks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boatbuilder NL, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Boatbuilder NL

Boatbuilder NL Junior Member

Hi guys,

Any of you have links to tutorials for learning boatdesign in SolidWorks? Have heard a lot about SolidWorks lately, so would like to hear exsiting users of SolidWorks, if you can share some tips, or give some links to tutorials...

2. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I don't know of any such tutorials. Solidworks is somewhat difficult to use for boat design. I had a chance to paticipate in a demo of the 2007 version that has some new features that are usefull (I still use the 2005 version). However, being a long time SW user and beginner in Rhino I still have to say that Rhino is better for boat design. It is also free to try and learn which is great (download a test version, full version with 25 saves).

3. CGN

CGN Senior Member

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I tink you can design a boat in SW, Invenotr or Alibre with Loft features, but you lack the control of curvature and distribution of volume that you have in Rhino. So, you can make a good looking boat, but probably not a good boat :)

5. Raggi_Thor

I think it's a better idea to use Rhino for hull modelling and then import it into SW and create the internal structure etc.

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I agree, principally when designing a hull we are concerned with surfaces. Solids packages are not particulalrly helpful at the design stage. Solidworks is not generally used for hull design but for internals fittings machinery etc.

7. Boatbuilder NL

Boatbuilder NL Junior Member

Soo, the best think would be to learn to use RhinoMarine, and then maybe combine it with SolidWorks?

Any of you who aware, if there is speciel tutorials for deigning RIBs, thinking of the making of the collar etc., or do I simply have to get started learning...?

Regards!

8. Raggi_Thor

I think if you learn Rhino, you can design anything, invcluding a hull and matching collars. There are some nice examples from Rhinocenttre NL..

9. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Before you spend time learning yet another CAD package have a look in SW help under free form. It's all there. You can add splines and control points and then drag the surface around in a similar way to Rhino. You can initially work using surfaces and then thicken to a solid later.

10. Raggi_Thor

I'm not sure SolidWorks has any method for curvature control of surfaces, but it may look OK. What do you think?

11. alidesigner

I must admit that I use Maxsurf for my hull creation but I know that SW has many curvature control features such as curvature combs, zebra shading, colour shading, and a checking feature that checks for invalid faces, invalid edges, short edges, minium radius of curvature, maximum edge gap, maximium vertex gap. You can also also control curvature across surface boundaries. And you can do all the usual things such as knit surfaces together, trim, split etc. It seams to be all there but as its a solid modeller aimed at engineers I think most people (including those that sell it) are unaware of what it can do with surfaces and not many SW books cover surfaces that well.

So I would recommend that for those that are serious, use Maxsurf, even if only the cheaper 3 surface edition (which I use) and then 1 CAD package, and for me the best that I evaluated was SW as it can handle everything and its parametric - no more drawing details, sections and multiple views! For the those that dont want to pay for Maxsurf but have SW then try and stick with it rather than being drawn in by free Rhino trials. You will end up wasting time learning it and then have data management issues.

I think Rhino is ok but the problem is you then need to go back to Autocad for detailing. So not only do you need to learn 2 cad packages but you need to pay for them both and pay for upgrades. The cost of SW isnt that bad and it comes with a free 2D drawing editor that is almost identical to Autocad just in case you ever need to use old autocad drawings. So you get 2 for the price of 1.

The same goes for Ship Constructor. Its very good but its boat building specific so you cant easily draw 3D solids such as pumps etc, and it runs inside autocad so again you have to pay for 2 programs and pay for upgrades on 2 programs. And if you need to do general 3D modelling then you are either stuck with autocad which is hopeless at 3D, or then you need a 3rd package such as Rhino. So now you have 3 packages to learn and maintain.

So when you look at the costs in terms of $$ and TIME for the software to cover ALL of your needs, the SW maxsurf combination is quite cost effective.

Have a look at this on youtube. A super yacht designed entirely in SW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9c5QHGuNu0

1 person likes this.
  12. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

Hi Alidesigner,
    Rhino 4 has quite a few new drafting tools including lineweights, line types, and a page layout system. Many Rhino users are reporting that they are able to get all of their drafting work completed inside Rhino.

http://www.rhino3d.com/4/newfeatures.htm

Thanks,
    -Steve

13. alidesigner

Dont get me wrong, Rhino is ok, especially for its price but I think SW users should stay with SW rather than introduce new software just because its cheap.

14. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

Hi Alidesigner,
    No offense taken. I just wanted to make people aware that your comments about being forced to use another CAD package to complete the drafting work of a Rhino model is not the case.

Thanks,
    -Steve

15. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Solidworks / Delftship Combo Question

Hey All,

I've been using Delftship to create hull surfaces and then have been exporting to SW for other Mechanical operations..

It been a great combo and Delftship has been quite easy to use...

My question is this.. Currently, to import the Delftship surface in SW I am exporting an IGES file. Then I am opening the IGES in SW and using the surface to createapartand then an assembly..

However, when I change the hull in Delftship and need to re-export / open into SW I lose my mates...

Does anyone have a clever way to change hull surfaces in Delftship and then reference that filedirectly (or the IGES) through SW??

Cheers,

Rocco

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.