1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

misconception of most fisherman

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by longliner45, Apr 28, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

the big misconception about most fisherman is that they are ignorant of anything ,,the fact is they know more about thier enviornment than most,,as a farmer knows how to tend his crops ,,he knows what to plant and when to plant and when to rotate crops most ,,and I stress (most) fisherman know that they must leave stock to harvest for later .ther is a fraction of perce siene netter and trollers that net everything and keep what sells and disregard the rest ,,Ill say this is 20% of all fisherman,the rest ,,snapper boats and longliners and gillnetters ,,these guys know more about the sea and its occupants than most marine biologist,,this is a boat design site ,,I see too many people raving about stuff they know nothing about the (dolphin thread and the stranded sealers) thread are examples..there is also the charterboat curcuit,,that catch trophys and take a picture ,,and dispose of the carcass,,this is worse than seineboats ,,they are killing the breeders intentionally...I dont expect replys about this thread,,just maybe wishing to make those others ,,research a little before they speak,,,longliner

2. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Just what are you trying to say here longliner?

That fishemen are not responsible for the mismanagement of the resource?

Is that why you are up power poles? Because you and your your colleagues are so smart you over fish a resource so you can string some wires?

I follow your logic completely.

Sarcasm is a low form of wit. Direct and brutal.

I agree with your sentiment on,
    Whether it rates on an oceans health relative to the impact of purse seiners is a sweeping statement tho'.
    My daughter did a study on catch and release and post trauma survival. Results sealed my resolve to only fish for the table.

3. longliner45

no roly ,,you are 100% right ,,fisherman did destroy thier own livlyhood,,,its like recycaling you beer cans ,,if only one does it and not your niebours ,,your spinning your wheels...,one reason was greed ,,the other was electronics that can see fish ,,the other is overfishing ,,so in the long run ,,the more fisher man out of work ,,the better off the enviornment will be ......longliner

4. longliner45

now fish for food on the table is the way it should be,,,,for at least 10 years ,,then quotas,,,,,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.