Multi-purpose stitch & glue boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by S_Mykra, Jun 22, 2014.

1. S_Mykra

S_Mykra New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My boat design and building experience is limited to only one screw & glue plywood punt that I made decades ago. I used that boat mostly for hunting, fishing and bird photography. She is long gone now, and I have used my recent years for working, raising kids, building a house etc. etc.

Now I have plans to once again go down the boat building road, and when thinking of various desings I decided to register here. In spite of my ~50 yrs I am obviously a total newbie in this and need some help. Referring to my minimal experience I have a revealing question that I want to express here. I totally understand that for many of you it may also appear as a stupid question, but nevertheless I'd like to hear your opinions.

What kind of a design you would suggest for a multi-purpose DIY vessel that can be constructed with stitch & glue method? With "multi-purpose" I mean that the boat must not be excellent for any particular use, but it should be acceptably good for

- rowing
    - punting
    - motoring (max 3-4hp)
    - sailing (i.e. it can be equipped with a simple detachable sail rig + keel & rudder)
    - duck hunting (maneuverability in shallow water and in reeds)
    - fishing (angling and trolling in rivers, lakes and sheltered seashore archipelago)

Furthermore, it should

- be capable of carrying 2 persons + their necessary gears
    - not exceed 13 feet
    - be easily moved with a trailer
    - comfortably accommodate the oars and the sail rig onboard even when they're not in use

Is any of you familiar with a design that could fulfill all or most of those demands?

In case that appears to be too challenging, and you would decide to build two different boats to fulfill all those demands, what kind of designs you would then end up with?

With kind regards,
    Sakari Mykra
    FINLAND

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

One of the least stupid questions, actually. 13 feet is a bit hard to live with, but a pram or jonboat would be the obvious choices. If you go up to 15', you can do a bit more with curves, and build a skiff (or a much nicer looking pram than the 13 footer)

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

you should look at some of the websites selling plans, such as http://www.bateau.com/ and http://www.glen-l.com/. Look at the various designs that com close to your need. Most of what you want is relatively easy to do, but adding sails well may complicate the issue. Few boats both motor and sail well. There are some skiffs on Bateau that you may like. http://www.bateau.com/products.php?cat=11

Another excellent source is Devlin http://www.devlinboat.com/. There are others that members can suggest.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

5. S_Mykra

S_Mykra New Member

Many thanks for your quick replies. I browsed through the links you provided and there were several suitable desings. A couple f those I even had examined before I posted here yesterday.

The 13 feet limit is not obligatory. It is just that I know that I can get that long a boat out of my workshop, but longer ones may cause some trouble (There is an L-turn close to the workshop front door.)

Several questions arised when examining the links, but I save you a litte and put only one of them here.

Regarding my demands above, what will I loose/gain in selecting a flat bottom or a V-bottom boat?

6. flo-mo

flo-mo Junior Member

7. flo-mo

flo-mo Junior Member

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Take a look at the Bolger Gypsy. It is a proven design that will row, motor, or sail. It is a stitch and glue build. You can Google the name and probably find a group of people who have built the boat, pictures and all.

9. S_Mykra

S_Mykra New Member

Sorry, I've been away for a while. Many thanks for your very informative replies and links. I have now given some further thought for this boat building, and I'm starting to be a bit inclined toward building two separate boats.

Of those that you have suggested I like most Ross Lilistones' Flint. Also I think Mandy/Amanda would suit me fine. Of course a whole lot of others would serve well, too, but those are the most appealing for my eye.

Another attractive design is the Norwegian/Danish pram. An exactly similar design has been used also in our side of the Baltic sea in the past. This kind of a pram might be a nice way to go because of the history.

Before that, however, I think I practise the stitch & glue method by building a duck boat for the coming season. While browsing various websites I came across a scull duck boat. The whole idea of sculling and the scull boat concept is totally new to me (I reckon practically nobody uses scull boats for duck huntiong here in Finland), but it may be perfect for my duck hunting and photograhphing purposes. Any suggestions for a good design? A scull boat for two persons is what I need.

10. tinkerings

tinkerings New Member

for the Flo-Mo guy

I really like your efforts and website-blog at weebly. the modified shellback dinghy expanded to two 6'x12' sheets, or oddball stretched to two sheet layout of 7'x16' (oh my!) would probably be a fantastic platform for a large semi fast high capacity displacement eco-cruiser for very small or electric power. your hull lines look a whole lot more appealing and efficient to me than Jim Michalak's "electron" design, where mentioned 6x12 sheets could be made into something similar yet superior.

first post and a good twist off topic, but dont know how to contact ya other than here..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.