Barcelona World Race

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guillermo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Here we have one more round the globe race: The 'Barcelona World Race'. Two crew. Non Stop.
    Open 60's, canting keels and the like, this time with two crew. Do you think it will add something to high tech sailing panorama? Or will it be just that: one more?
    http://www.barcelonaworldrace.com/en/
    Too Bossy to my taste.

2. Guillermo

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

INTERESTING G'mo
    should make fo some record times,
    had the good fortune to meet, whom I consider to be the worlds top open 60 sailer, Isa Autissier, i Auckland a few years ago, just before she capsized in the Southern Ocean
    pm your tel number, want to chat

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Not the like…. only Open60’s.

"The sailors will race onboard Open 60 boats….. the same boats that are raced in the solo Vendée Globe.

The Barcelona World Race is a new two-handed, non-stop round the world yacht race starting on the 11th November, 2007 [and to be held every four years]. For the first time, this race will see the world's best professional sailors from both solo and fully crewed disciplines coming together to compete against each other in teams of two".

http://www.barcelonaworldrace.com/default.asp?section=1

Not only to the High Racing panorama but to the development of sustainable canting keels (the boats carry a small quantity of fuel and the more they carry the less competitive they are because they became heavier) and to boats and technologies for the future long distance cruising market. These boats have to be raced with a much reduced crew (many times by a single men) and the rig and sails they carry has to be adapted to this reality and that reality is the same as experiment most cruisers (short crew).

The Vendee Globe, the more famous race with reduced crew (so reduced that the boats have only a single sailor) has, for me, an important part of human exploit; I mean for winning it you have to be more than a very good sailor, you have to be almost a super-men/women.

The Barcelone race is a more human race, a race that has more to do with sailing than to human exploit.

I believe that future editions will have a lot more participants and that this race will become, like the Vendee Globe, a big race and a Classic.

5. Guillermo

From YW, Nov 2007 issue:

"Could anything be more stressful or hard boiled than a solo race round the world without any stops? Strange as it may seem, many single-handers say yes: racing with the help of someone else, having another strong pair of arms aboard, might be even tougher"

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Modern single handing racers spend much time relying on autopilot, out of necessity, and therefore work hard at conserving themselves for times that their efforts will see the greatest returns. In doublehanding the fact that there is twice the manpower will put greater stress on the individual, as human piloting ( still faster than AP) will consume more of the crews time. Coordination of human resources will become the order of the day...no small task for two very independent people.
    Among the Open 60 competitors it is almost universally believed that this will be tougher on them.

7. Guillermo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.