<split> composite debates (heated remarks)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Therein lies the purpose of Tunnels question,

some choose to misrepresent the question as a recomendation,

simple as that....... some what like interpreting Apex's comment on zero overlap as a recomendation to do so in the application which I would doubt he was doing, it is however practice in some cases however.

Regards from Jeff.

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

tunnels Apex has been a very very helpful person in this forums, i for one prefer blunt truth than sugar coating.
    I have learned that the tougher the person is in his advice the more truthful and honest it is. I have learned to grind through stone and learn from any one who has knowledge and is willing to pass it regardless of anything else.

I disagree on your view regarding apex's post
    I have only seen apex give clear contribution with logic and substance.

This forum is a wealth of good people and great knowledge each has his own way and style. It is not my role to change others contribution style, attitude or wording, but its my role to understand what's behind the words and what the objective is and in most cases its my well being, safety and to help me learn.
    In many instance i am refereed to others to get the information, its a sign of honesty and respect.

We do not know the people posting, their circumstances, the troubles and problem they face in real life, its enough for me that they care, take the time and try to pass on their knowledge. To that i am thankful to every one in this forums especially apex.

Thats my 2 cents :)

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Therein lies the crux. I did not misinterpret his senseless question as a recommendation, I just pointed out that he has NO clue about FRP layups! He asked wether VE or Poly, the most probable Epoxy was not mentioned. A laymans question.....

Nono Jeff, thats cheating! As you mention correct, selective cut and paste is a problem.
    There was NO reference to cloth overlap!!!! I made clear that this was NOT a recommendation, it was plain rethoric and there could be no doubt about!
    The whole post:

followed by:

Tunnels question:
    Was just plain dumb! And he deleted that after my repeated attempts to ask why one would use poly with carbon!

And there was absolutely NO advise from tunnels! The only one halfways sensible reply was a copy from Tinhorns opinion about overlap width, tweaked from 30 to 35mm (both based on zero information btw.)
    That followed by a wild guess, we were talking about a trailer sailer. That was all drivel, not advice.

The rest of the (now split) thread developed then into a selfdestruction battle "tunnels vs knowledge", easy for everyone to count the bodies lost.

Richard

4. magwas

magwas Senior Member

You should have read entirely different threads than me.
    I really don't care if someone criticizes my work with a reason. I am agree that it does help if someone says "you have f*ed up this or that". Then I can look after how this or that should be done in the right way.
    I have never read such comments form Apex1. He just says without any detail that the thing is entirely wrong, and I am dumb. He also plainly stated in more than one occasions that he won't give any help.
    I have also caught him in error (which - given that I am really clueless about boats - should tell one something about the level of competence involved).

Is there a setting with which I don't see that he has written things? I have added him to my ignore list, but the fact that he commented still can be seen.

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Seems that i have indeed read entirely different threads than you, i am talking based on my experience and the threads i read / posted which are almost in the same number as yours.

I am not sure why that situation occurred but not in a single of my posts had Apex or any one refused to help, maybe because i ask politely or maybe because people are kind enough and want to help an utter noob like me.
    And believe me i have asked the most naive and silliest question some one could ask and yet the members in this forum take from their time to reply no matter how silly.
    Even if the criticism is harsh or tough, heck i learn and for that knowledge given to me by others my utter respect to them.
    I was brought up to learn the value of knowledge and of experience, my grandmother used to tell me to learn from any one with knowledge even an enemy.

Each is entitled to his opinion i guess and i clearly stated mine :)

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Herein lies the secret Vulkin!

You received a warm welcome and proper advice on almost all your questions.
    You asked!

Others, like the two whingers here, don´t ask, they make statements and like to get a confirmation of their preconceptions!
    That produces resistance in many cases, as Magwas has encountered from ALL professionals by so far.

More idiotic and dangerous is the other bigmouthes approach here. He gives "advice" not tagged as opinions, and he proves on every other post that he does not know the business. Just only this thread proves ALL his statements wrong.

These two guys believe they know something, and want us to confirm or improve their knowledge.

You did know as much as they do, or even more in fact. But you did not talk about your opinions, you asked for our knowledge and received it.

And of course these blokes don´t see my contribution in a neutral and fair light, they did never care to find the hundreds of posts were members got proper assistance and valuable hints, they only see my abrasive comments on some lunatic or bold posts.
    And sure enough, if I am wrong in a case, or not completely in compliance with the majority on a topic, they notice that and call it failure. They never would count the other 99,5% of posts as being correct.

Uneducated see only what they want to see, and hear only positive replies, they never listen to critical response, nor do they follow uncomfortable roads for gaining knowledge.

Regards
    Richard

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Emm .... this is your post, http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/epoxy-not-waterproof-30616.html

I guess your own thread just answered your post ....

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Nothing personal, I was as represented editing to illustrate the style, I agree whole heartedly on the degeneration of the thread, some of this stuff should be left long ago in the school yard. All the best from Jeff

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, seems he shot in his own leg again...............

To the other whingers "being brushed the wrong way".........:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/po...-planing-hulls-so-far-34532-2.html#post397418

Not only you are brushed the right way tunnels! Magwas is too. And not just by me, oh no, by quite several of the other experts here as well.

No surprise the big mouthes get silent when the silly claims are identified as such.

Both of you should read Vulkyns threads to learn how one gets over a century of knowledge for free! And you will find no insults or snide comments there either!

Regards
    Richard

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Only reason it appears to have gone quiet is because the private emails are not shown !! You are just a arse and always will be !! you have some good advise but you have a attitude problem and don't know when to let go .
    So shove it where the sun dont shine :eek:

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Of course I have a attitude problem. Your attitude!

Just don´t show up here as if you would know the FRP business. Skimp on your "advice" which is either wrong or not sufficient.

No doubt you have been a FRP worker, used with gun layups. No doubt that made you believe you have some knowledge.
    But you did not even grasp what you were doing there.
    This thread leaves no doubt about that!

So, how can a labourer, not able to understand his own job, give some valuable advice here?

Good for you, the Forum has NOT seen your private messages and mails. They add to the picture you have drawn here. I have seen some of them, dont think the senior members here buy your drivel without talking in the background!

Without becoming indiscreet just one example.
    How can you tell a member here by PM, he would have NO advantage choosing Epoxy over Poly or Ve resins? The application was glass on wood!

You are a uneducated and ignorant layman tunnels, and you have definetively no idea about boatbuilding!
    Read your own threads (first learn reading), you don´t even know how to ask the right questions with regard to FRP business.

Maybe I am a arse, who cares, but I am not screwing other peoples homebuild or business, like you do.
    Keep your mouth shut when you have no clue instead of wasting other peoples time and money!

12. Cebu

Cebu Junior Member

I have had enough of APEX1

First of all I am new to this forum and have joined after reading every word posted in this thread. I must say I have not learned much except from tunnel..
    Second, we are not here to criticize tunnels bad spilling or granner, but to discus opinions and facts as we know them on the subject that drew me here. I am designing a boat and need answers to finish my design. I dont want to spend time here looking for answers only to see some one helping only to get his head bashed in. The admin. should have put a stop to this a long time ago.

I would like to know how to block all comments from APEX1 so I can filter all the hatred on this site. Can someone point me to info on blocking posters I don't want to read?

Cebu

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

And what was your question, buddy?

......apart from spreading your hatred, I mean.

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

At the top of the page, click on "User CP" then go down the resultant list on the left to "Buddy/Ignore Lists", click and then fill in the blank.

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

i think the admins are doing a fine job mate .....