<split> composite debates (heated remarks)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

Hijinks

Your hijacks are usually welcome.

Within the abrasive trolling there is usually some good information.

And it is also entertaining.

:: popped corn ::

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Where have you seen MY hijacks in this thread?

It was tunnels who hijacked it, to prove finally his ignorance on FRP layup.

And what is abrasive trolling? A post like yours here?

Seems you have not seen many of my threads and posts and the replies on them, by so far.
    Just one of the recent, where one of our well respected builders and designers has a different opinion:
    click- http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/fer-lite-34473-2.html#post395702

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

No tunnels, not the wrong way, you are rubbed the right way, hard and abrasive, and you are not the only layman here with a big mouth.

4. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

I haven't seen your hijacks in this thread. And as I said... your hijacks are usually welcome. ie. they are usually both informative, and entertaining.

It was meant to contrast others... who hijack threads and who are not informative, and who are humorless.

I'm with you on your other posts in re: epoxy vs. polyester. Every material has its day in the sun of course, but the sheer number of FRP boats with delamination problems as a resort of the water absorption of polyester resin makes one hesitant to use the material for a boat hull, especially when epoxy is such a dramatically better product. This is something that you notice even if you aren't into engineering, or the materials side of things but you are just shopping for used boats online. If a boat owner's boat is made with epoxy resin, they prominently advertise that point. If it is made with poly than, they are going to run from that unless you ask them directly. The difference is big enough that people will mention vinylester resin, despite it only being nominally better than poly mechanically, but it has less water uptake.

Furthermore, I live in california.... epoxy for the most part is low or no VOCs. Polyester and Vinylesters are heavy emitters. Environmental compliance is getting to be a bigger deal every year, and again epoxy wins.

I'm not saying anything new here though. </rant>

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Seems I misunderstood you. Sorry.

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out what the purpose of this thread was ....

Carbon fiber is an expensive material, i would surely only use it (when i need to) with equally high grade material (well epoxy).

So whats the point again ?

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

apex 1 got on his high horse and started abusing a few people as usual !! Happens quite frequantly i have notoced through out the differant threads !!!

So lets change the subject and chat about cooking for a change !! Got any good recipes for marinating steak!! :D

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I am talking about the purpose of the thread, not what followed. I do not see what the thread wanted to achieve from the beginning.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

o_O i still do not understand tunnels question regarding carbon fiber thats what i meant.
    I do not understand why would some one even consider polyester with carbon fiber?

P.S Original thread is edited by moderator ....

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Correct, as indicated with the (subtle) <mod note> these posts were split from the original thread so as not to take the original threads off topic with the rather heated back and forth.

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

right ....

with my (very) limited experience, using polyester with carbon fiber is like fitting an F-16 fighter jet with wooden wings ....

Hence my bewilderment on the thread starting post.

13. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Steamer

Rep: 1180 Posts: 5,370
    Well,
    the minimum is zero, and that would solve the prob with fairing.

In reference to cloth overlap............ but therein lies the problem with selective editing & cut & pasting.

to be fair theres been good advice from both parties, it's up to the thread intiator to recognise & implement the good.
    Regards from Jeff.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The probelm was solved on personal messages away back But the digs just kept coming over and over again . Tried to humor the guy and be nice with a funny comments here and there but to no avail. :p

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

right i wount repeat my question as it seems the thread has moved in a completely different direction.