Small Solo Canoe ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by banini_jeque, Aug 20, 2010.

1. banini_jeque

banini_jeque New Member

Hey everybody I just joined a few minutes ago. The reason I did that is because I want to build a small solo canoe no longer than 12 feet, and preferably closer to 10. I weigh 190lbs, so hopefully that will work. I've looked at a lot of these skin on frame canoes and I really like them and think they would be perfect for my purposes, but I'm not sure if I want to try to do the frame the traditional way or not. I'd kind of like to build the frame out of just one sheet of some kind of playwood, whatever kind would be best, and make the ribs by cutting them to shape in the plywood instead of bending them. Would that make them too weak? Another idea would be to use small aluminum tubing, and theres a great little metal supply shop right down the street from me. Then I could choose between having it all welded together, lashing it, or using rivets. I'm pretty much decided on using some non-woven nylon sheet for the skin as I like that transparent or translucent look. Anyway, I'm posting this to see what suggestions people might offer. I'm kind of worried the aluminum might weigh a lot more than the wood. As long as it's not more than 25lbs when done, I'll be happy, and under 20lbs would make me really happy.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You might want to investigate polycarbonate if you want a transparent hull. You can probably avoid frames on such a small boat if you place other structural members strategically. Study existing examples and see how they overcame these problems. There are several related threads on this forum from which you can gain much useful information.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

4. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.