Spline Weights - Too heavy & Costly to delivery

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by chomchan, Oct 28, 2005.

1. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Really sean, lighten up.

2. CET

CET Senior Member

Thanks Darryl. Haven't started them yet but when I do, I'm determined to good job of it. After all, my mom and pop are counting on me to prove their worth.:D

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Isnt it easier to go to a mill shop and have a whale or duck milled from a stainless steel material block or monel shaft?:)

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You know, you don't have to make spline weights in the shape of ducks or out of lead. Lead is best, but I have a couple that work just fine and are made of steel bar stock. They are about 1'' X 2 " X 6" (2.5 cm x 5 cm x 15 cm) and weigh about 3 to 4 lbs. For a hook, round stock ( I am guessing but it looks like 3/16") was threaded on one end and bent 90 deg on the other. A hole was drilled in the end of the bar stock and threaded inside. Then you simply screw the hook into the hole.

I did not make these myself. I rented a house that had been owned by a Naval Architect who worked at David Taylor Naval Research Center. I found them in the basement along with a lot of tick mark sticks. I tireid them out and since they worked fine I kept them. I also Have regular ducks I bought from Kuefel and Esser, but these are adequate for the job.

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I'm waiting for someone to post the question, "What's a spline weight, duck or whale," so I will find out without looking like an ignorant idiot.

Guess if I keep waiting someone will.

6. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Err............. I think spline is a plastic or wood strip for forming the curve line to draw the boat hull and countor... the weight that hold the spline in place can be name as Whale... a heavier version of weight mostly hold the center of the curved spline and secondary duck weight which is a lighter version holding the end of the spline... Multiple duck spline weight could in fact finished the job without the whale spline weight.

Pls correct me if I am wrong... After all I am just a mear student:)

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

You could in fact use anything to hold down the spline as long as the drafting pen can reach the spline to complete the drawn line................................???

Divers weight with hook or fish can fill with bearing with hook?

The downward side of the weight should use a movement resistence material... so the spline opposition force will not force the weight to shift position................ I think... :)

Attached Files:

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thanks for that Westlawn. A bit like the plastic bendy things we used to use for curves in drafting.

If the drawing was on a sheet of steel and the spline had magnets in it you wouldn't need ducks or whales.

9. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

yeh..... the metal will still have opposing energy... whipping by metal is worse.:D

10. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

spline weights

I found an iron pastry mold with 8 or 10 5" fish, I thought about casting steel shot in epoxy with a nail out the front for use as spline weights. I'd probably cut some felt for the bottom & glue that on too.
    I've seen these molds in the grocery store baking aisle also.

11. Roly

Roly Senior Member

moral support...

Poets......... are brutal. Unlofty thoughts...?

Read between the lines or don't read at all.

My parents were wonderful, I was the aberration.....

G'luck with your spline wts. I would love to make some...but I have too
    many projects.

Bless ya sean

Wake in a sweat ...hell, I hope I haven't failed my kids.......
    Long time dead......spend time with them while you can.

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Are folks actually still putting pen to paper?

I'm impressed :)

13. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Everybody is a result of their parents. My Dad was good looking and intelligent. Look at me, I guess my Mum must have screwed the milkman.

Anyway getting back to spline weights. If you need to buy spline weights or, you needed a plan to make them, I don't think you would be able to design a paper weight let alone a boat.:rolleyes:

14. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

spline weight

dont know... something about spline weight make people crazy wanna try to make one... you know it is just lead shape like a whale but hardly a duck... the things is the diamension could be wrong...

1. Heavy infront
    2. light behind but long so will not skid.
    3. must have finger groove for better handling.
    4. weight need to be right... ratio, heavy is good but hard to nugde, light is great but easy to get unaccurate by slight movement.
    5. Material gonna be issue... Lead is the most dense... find alternative would be gold... got some to spare?
    6. Anti-slip material at the bottom surface of the weight.
    7. stability
    8. texture... you gonna stock the thing so make it nice.
    9. the spare time to make it.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/splineweights/index.htm

http://www.riverswest.org/RiversWest/Gallery/Dan's%20Lead%20Pour/Danleadpourgallery.htm

I would rather buy it first and phantomise the making proceedure later.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.