Spline weights- lead casting

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ErikG, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

I'm going to cast my own "ducks". But I need some infoe on the casting situation itself.

What kind of materials are suitable to use for molds?
    Can I use tire weights (I guess so)?

This seems to be an area where I can save a lot of money by doing it myself. I know YDS sells some, but they are incredibly expensive, add to that the shipping to Sweden. Ouch!

8 knots I've seen your's but I dont think I can wait for you I want to get started drawing properly right now!

I also wonder where to get different battens? Anyone?

ErikG

2. james_r

james_r Junior Member

There are a lot of materials that can be used for molds. As a kid I used cane plugged with a cork on one end and pushed partway into sand to make jigs for octopus fishing.

For ducks I would suspend a plug upside down in a plastic container and pour plaster of paris around it. Once the plaster dries completely remove it from the container and bake it in the oven for a couple of hours. You want to be absolutely sure that the plaster of paris is completely dry otherwise any residual moisture could turn into steam when you pour the lead and blow the mold and melted lead all over you.

A few warnings: When you melt the lead do it outside and do not breath the fumes. Melt just enough lead for each duck at any one time. Wear thick clothing and gloves just in case there are any splatters. Have a fire extinguisher handy just in case there is a fire. Some kind of face protection should be worn, a full face shield is best. Use plenty of common sense - lead is heavy and melts at over 327C. I don't mean to sound patronizing, it's just that I've seen someone suffer a small but very severe burn from lead.

3. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

sorry for the delay

as far as plaster is concerned DO be sure to get all that moisture out of it DO NOT rush or you will be in sad shape to draw boats without an eyeball! I might suggest getting a thrift store toaster oven and use it to bake your plaster molds bring the temp up slowly. plaster is really not very strong on it's own so the slow rise say over 6 hours will deter thermal shock. and pour them hot at say 200-300 deg. be care full with the finishing and melting process as others have said lead is BAD too much exposure and your kids will have 3 eyes. Good luck 8Kts

4. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

battens

In regards to battens! Try your local sign shop they will more than likely have a ton of different plastic products laying around that can be fabricated easily. I recomend polycarbonate(LEXAN)
    it has fair memory.

5. Jeff Kutz

Jeff Kutz New Member

spline weights

I have a two piece female mold for casting " ducks" in molten lead. I use stainless steel 1/8" round bar for rod. Weight 4 lbs 3 oz ea. approx cost $ 3.50 ea USD to make. Kinda fun too. I use my side burner on propane BBQ for heat source. I made the mold and could E-mail pictures if anyone is interested Jeff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.