Is this Farrier F9A worth restoring?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DennisRB, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

This Farrier F9A has been for sale for a long time and the price has been falling. A good F9A is worth $120K AUD. It appears to have had some major incident which necessitated the removal of the cabin top. Also note the blue patch close to the beam on one ama. Maybe the beam has ripped out? The broker isnt too keen on answering questions. I love the highly optimistic descriptions in the add. :p

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8081920

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Maybe they backed it into a low carport and decided on a remodel. It almost looks like it went aground. A good survey is needed for sure. The other way to look at the boats is to treat it like a gear donor and start over. Would the rig and sails, engine, deckgear, trailer and beams etc.... be a bargain at that price? For someone looking to build it might be worth an offer.

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

$29K is a lot to ask for a boat about which the guy in charge won't answer substantive questions. If he won't put you in touch with the guy who owns it and that guy also won't give you the straight scoop (which can be verified, of course) then put on your jetpack and fly away.

It doesn't look to have been grounded. More, that the boat was pulled, scraped and sanded as prep for a paint job once the convert was done to a Sprint style version. And is there an aft bulkhead in place for the forward cabin?

I'm always suspicious of people who start doing structural mods on a well tested design. One can only hope that they first consulted with Ian before banging major bulkheads out of the way.

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Dennis, it's worth further inspection, take a drive down the coast & have a look. Regards from Jeff.

5. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

yes a look costs little does it? I mean the price, what on earth can you build for that?
    I was driving today saw this 8x4 trailer with pop up, they wanted 6k?
    I have this wonderful Mondeo Zetec diesel car in UK, which is (worth less)
    Pleasure, what price? How do you put a value on it
    For me, professional builder, I would say this tri could give me more bang for my buck than anything I could build .
    When people ask me to build a boat, I always say, "are you SURE you can not find something on the second hand market?
    You do not get rich building, but you do make freinds:)) Go look mate , good luck eh

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have been trying to figure out if it is worth a look. Its not close by. Is 1000km away and would take me a day or 2 and about $300.

I seriously doubt the cabin top was removed only to make it a sprint version. It would have been damaged.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.