bow thruster design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jollyricard, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

Dear Sirs,

My name is Riccardo, I'm a italian student; How can I determine the power and lateral thrust of the bow thruster?

how can I determine the number of bow thruster?

where I can find publications regarding this matter?

I must choose a bow thruster system for my ship( merchant ship);

Many thanks in advance
    Best regards

2. cyclops2

cyclops2 Senior Member

That is a difficult task.

Without some data from a sister ship of SIMILAR SIZE.

Side area presented to a combined maximum wind load and current load. You will need some actual data using a LARGE scale.

IF you have a pier that reaches out into the river / current far enough. You can run a dedicated line from the anchor winch to the bollard on the pier. The scale can be anchored at either end. The ship MUST BE ON THE DOWN CURRENT SIDE to record bow loads. Record water and wind speeds for future higher side loads.

Get VERY clever with the wind & current in the same direction passing thru the pier at a right angle and you can then read the bow thruster load right from the load on the scale.

As always there is more than 1 way to accomplish any job.

A web search using the words ......freighter bow thruster..... will get you some commerical companies in the 700' range.

ALWAYS get at least 3 different designs and or prices. Web data, E mails, phone calls & pictures are cheap and mandatory.

Worst case load is a fully loaded ship in the dense water current

Other worst case is a empty ship in high wind speeds.

A GOOD bow thruster company WILL do all of the above from previous experience with similar ships.

3. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

Dear cyclops2,
    many thanks for Your reply;

I think that I can find some data of a sister ship of similar size.
    can I find pubblications regarding this method?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.