building a hydroplane boat/help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jasonkatie, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Jasonkatie

Jasonkatie New Member

I want to build a hydroplane boat. I have purchased some plans off ebay, but they seem to me not very complete. They are just basically copied pages from an old popular mechanics magazine. It seems like there are dimenions misssing from the detailed plans, and I was just wondering if there was anyone who has built a hydroplane boat that could help with pictures or places to get better plans. I want to get the most speed from a 25 evinrude that i can. I have found some boats that call for a 10-15 or 15-20hp motor, do you think putting a 25hp on would be too dangerous or too heavy for those types of boats. I would like to have a set of plans I am comfortable with before I start to build. Any help or discussion would be appreciated.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

What boat did you want to build? I have made several small hydroplanes (Minimax, Minimost + 25%) and am building a 14' picklefork and a minimost. Tha fastest boat made (powered with a 25 hp) is a picklefork 3 point. Plans are at www.fralickboats.com but they are not as cheap as the ebay copies. A good professional set of plans is the cheapest part of any boat project. The time and frustration saved using proper plans will quickly replace the thought of the price. The boat will likely perform as you want also since it is a proven design. The link SamSam provided is what I used to make my minimax and minimost. They are very easy for a new builder but not nearly as fast as the Fralick race boats. I am ordering a set of their plans this month. If you are making one of the boats I have built I can e mail you a ton of pictures. I made up a set of full size foam board templates for the minimost frame and transom that I could trace for you if you need a pattern.
    Good luck with your project.
    JIM

4. Jasonkatie

Jasonkatie New Member

Thanks for the reply. I just have a stock 25hp evinrude tiller motor, no electric start or anything and I just want to put it to use. Will this type of motor work? The motor is just sitting in my garage so I thought it would be fun to make one of these boats. Let me review the minimost and minimax and I'll get back to you if I would like pics emailed.

5. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

Your motor will work just fine but it is to much for the minimax. Some do it but it is a waste of the motor when you could make a better boat like the minimost. I was on the lake today with my minimax and an eight hp Honda. I got some good video of it. You need to see if you have a long or short shaft motor so when you make the transom it will be the correct height. If you have a short shaft make the transom 15" high at the motor board, a long shaft needs 20". The minimost is slightly harder to build but is a much nicer boat and can take a bigger motor. You should use 1/2" plywood for the transom for the 25 hp instead of the 3/8" in the plans. Laminate multiple layers of ply for the motorboard. A few triangle gussets on the transom at the floor battens should be all the extra strength you need (the plans show one, make two more).
    JIM

6. Jasonkatie

Jasonkatie New Member

Does anyone know how much it costs these days to build the minimost??

7. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

Cost to build a Minimost

I will have under $225 (I hope) in the one I am almost done with and it will look very good. I used exterior grade plywood pre sanded on one side ($13.00 per sheet, 2 x 1/4" and 1 x 3/8") One gallon of epoxy to seal the entire thing, inside and out $60, Large bottle of Tight Bond III waterproof glue, $8.00, $15 worth or exterior rated coated deck screws, $30 for 1 x 6, 2 x 4 and 1 x 4's. Paint and primer one quart each $30 total, The the rest in sandpaper, brushes, saw blases etc....

You can buy all top grade marine plywood and quickly get over $200 in the plywood alone. Use bronze screws and you will spend around $50 (est..) I have seen one a guy spent $2000 on one per one of his posts, it is the best looking minimost I have seen. It can be viewed on the www.minimost.com web site. Here is a picture of his boat.
    [​IMG]

8. kevin_ak3

kevin_ak3 New Member

I’m also looking to make a minimax or a minimost and I was wondering if you could send me those photos of the boat at Kevin_ak3@hotmail.com
    Tt would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Kevin

9. BC Seafleas

BC Seafleas New Member

FELLOW MINIMOST: I offer full size patterns for these boats. I build framed kits, build to suite. I could go on but if any interest and photos, Iwould be thrilled to share what I have and explain some of the new cosmedic finishes to help safe the wood material you are useing a lot longer in a lot of cases. Questions, and answers, plus photos are free so if I can share some of my experience I have learned over the years again I would be happy to.

10. kevin_ak3

kevin_ak3 New Member

deck curves

I would love it if you could send me the patterns for the deck of the minimost. I just can’t figure out how to get the curves right:confused: . And I was wondering if you could send me the pattern!

Kevin

11. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

If you have the rest of the boat done you don't need a pattern, use the boat as the pattern.

Put your peice of wood on the deck area of the boat. Line it up so one corner of the wood is in the center of the main frame and flush with the inside of the cockpit.. put one screw in it to hold it. line the wood up with the batten that goes right down the middle of the deck (from the main frame to the stem) so the wood is right down the middle of the boat and put a second screw in it. Hold it down against the boat with one hand while you cut it oversize with a jigsaw with your other hand. Once it is cut close you can clamp it in place with c clamps. Trace the corrrect shape with a pencil along the bottom of the deck wood using the hull as the pattern. Take it off and cut on the line. Put it back on and glue and screw down. Do the same thing for the other side and your deck is done. Finish the seam at the sides with a belt sander. Fill the seam beeeetween the two peices of decking with bondo or epoxy mixed with cabisol then seam it with a peice of 3" fiberglass tape and epoxy. Sand until you can't see the joint.

JIM

12. Victor Lemmi

Victor Lemmi Junior Member

How does the pilot remain while sailing...sit?
    tks Victor