NZ Buccaneer 40 Tri Project Boat - advice

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Ooks, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Ooks

Ooks Ian

A rather interesting Buc 40 is for sale in NZ that I am in initial discussions to purchase.

She is to be used as a prop for a film about the Rose Noelle (link here if not familar : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10600306)

Add for her is here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-802370836.htm

Apparently her name is Unison and has been around Auckland for a long while. If anyone knows some history I would love to hear about her.

Ultimately she will be stripped of everything, flipped upside down, large 1mx1m hole cut in the main hull and then returned right way up, drained and handed over. I have spoken to a boat builder and the hole which sounds dramatic is relatively easy to fix. I am more concerned about the flipping her over and back again. Anyone have any thoughts on how you could do that to minimise the loads or if it is just a pretty hairy idea all round?

I plan to have engine and mast serviced when they are removed then spend some time putting her back together with new rigging. Ultimately I will sail her back to Australia, but probably not till November next year (looking for better weather...)

So I would be interested in:
    a) thoughts or knowledge of the boat in general as a project to take on
    b) specifically the challenges of flipping her
    c) A good surveyor in Auckland for the yacht

a few images from the advert site attached - there are more at the link above.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Beautiful looking boat. Looks a bit rough cosmetically, but nothing paint won't fix. Flipping a boat is not really putting a lot of stress on it. You can simply wrap a couple of straps and lift with a crane.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

As a builder who has built 6 Buccaneers I can't figure out why you have to turn her upside down and cut a 1m2 hole in her to drain her out ? Or am I missing something. :eek:
    Please explain. :D

4. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Thanks OS. They are trying to recreate the Rose Noelle during her inverted floating around the pacific. I imagine the crew cut the hole out of the hull for access after she went over.
    Just fond this pic online - I think they are looking for some shots like this.
    so hole is not for draining purposes, just recreation of situation.

Attached Files:

5. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Wow - 6 Bucks, you sound like a good guy to talk to. I am mostly sure she is Foam core construction. No apparent chines.
    Were the beams mostly ply and glass? if so I will be a little concerned with them. Any thoughts on specific areas to look at where known issues have come up. Seems to be a fair amount of "stuff" attached to the beams that might give moisture access.

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sorry OOKs.
    All the Buccs we built had alloy tube crossarms, so I can't comment on that. :eek:

7. jamez

jamez Senior Member

This boat has been for sale here for 2-3 years and started at 110k or so IIRC. Supposed to be foam sandwich so likely would clean up alright. Just fixing the hole will be easy - the problem could be potential structural damage to beams etc. turning it over twice. Particularly if the second time if it has any water in it. I wouldn't expect a film crew to take any care of the boat - after all it is just a prop to them.

Taking possession of what is virtually a hulk on a public beach sends off warning signals too and may be of questionable legality, especially if it needs to be parked there for a while so you can make it seaworthy enough to tow somewhere.

Good luck!

8. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Thanks jamez - good points.

The guy I am talking to is also a sailor and pretty keen on the boat, so is giving me a little bit a leeway with my similar concerns. i.e. have got agreement I can have a lot of involvement in the turning over. I have had a few ideas already, but will come back here to bounce them around if it all goes ahead.
    I imagine the biggest problem is not the weight of the empty boat but the potential to try and lift a hull full of water which would have a very different load.
    The beach they are referring to is only a few hundred meters from the marina and a slipway, so I am sure I can get it towed to a better location.
    Do you know any of her history?

9. jamez

jamez Senior Member

No sorry, can't help with any details about the boat. Just been sailing past it for years watching it deteriorate on its mooring and the price go down.

10. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Thanks anyway - was told she has been a live aboard for 5 years or so. Fits with the pictures. Still some hints of a solid yacht underneath though...I hope ;)

11. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Nothing obvious that would suggest otherwise. Fixed up would be a nice boat for fast, short-handed long distance cruising.

12. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

If they really wanted to be true to the story they studio could buy Janzia - Rose Noelles sistership. She is for sale in Australia and is a great design that could do with a tidy up. I saw her in the Whistundays this year and she is a clone of Rose Noelle, built by John Glennie's brother David.

Great story and great boats

Phil

13. Ooks

Ooks Ian

Catsketcher - any more details on Janzia??
    ideas on how to contact the owner??
    just mentioned this to the producer guy I am talking to and he sounded interested.

14. RHP

RHP Senior Member

This talk of turning her. Do you know how many times the film crew turned her over, lifted in and out of the water whilst inverte and/or semi filled with water etc.. would imagine this is more relevant than you planning to flip her just the once?

It will be comforting to know that your boat could take back to Australia upside down if need be...:D

15. Ooks

Ooks Ian

HI RHP - She is neither flipper nor holed yet, just sitting a little sadly in Okahu Bay waiting her fate. When the time comes she will be pulled out of the water and stripped, a hole cut in her main hull then inverted (not sure how yet).
    A few days of filming in this undignified manner and she will be righted (again not sure how at this stage) and made available.
    Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.