How to design a catamaran hull? For USV.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by amispurs, Nov 14, 2013.

1. amispurs

amispurs Junior Member

Hey!
    I've been working on a project to design and manufacture a USV. The USV would primarily be employed for environmental research purposes.

We've decided on using a catamaran hull for max stability.
    catamamaran.jpg

Found this cat on the net. That's the basic design I'm hoping to implement.
    I've got the free version of 'Delftship'. I've figured how to design a single hull. But I have no idea how I can put together two hulls and build a platform over the two. Is this possible on Delftship? Or should I use DelftShip only for single hull design and use SolidWorks to put everything together?

Also, how do I go about checking the hydrodynamic stability? I'm a mechanical engineering student. So this is all new to me. I'd appreciate any help!

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

probably I'm too old, but I haven't heard of a USV (underwater sailing vessel?)

What you have sketched looks like a US style pontoon boat to me, so I'd start by investigating those

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Oh my, we've been here before. Displacement isn't very difficult to figure out, even if doing the tedious calculations by hand. Since you seem to be using software, it will offer volumetric figures at various depths and angles of heel, so the work is done for you. What is hard to figure out is how much boat you need, given the SOR restraints.

This is really the first stage of the design process - establishing a reasonable SOR. With this in hand you'll know about what volume you'll need (there about) at which point you can begin your repeated stagger around the spiral.

Considering your level of experience, your base should be very close to a known design. Considering your very basic questions, your best advise would be to just buy a set of plans and make superficial modifications, to the accommodations to suit your desires.

Lastly, will this boat need certification of some sort? If so, be careful which plan you select or ask if it will comply with the certification society you'll need to deal with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.