Salimina - A 39' V-Bottom Cruiser by William Atkin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dobsong, Jun 19, 2009.

1. dobsong

dobsong Junior Member

Hi all, just trying to decide on a boat to get built for my retirement... Have found this design by William Atkin and wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this boat?

Also any comments about this design appreciated.

=======

LOA 39 feet
    LWL 38 feet
    Beam 11 feet 6 inches
    Draft 2 feet 8 inches draft.
    Freeboard at the bow is 4 feet 6 inches and at the stern 3 feet 3 1/4 inches

The lines show a V bottom model having moulded topsides and straight bottom sections; but from station 7 and aft there is a sharp reverse curve between the buttock line and the rabbet line.

A six cylinder engine is suggested, direct connected to propeller shaft, of approximately 5 3/4 inches bore by 6 inches stroke developing 120 to 125 h.p. at 1,400 turns a minute. A power plant of this description will give 20 miles an hour.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Atkins boats were designed to be yard or home built, and have a good reputation.

IF the boat were built with modern materials , foam core or aluminum , the weights from the old style wood would be way off.

What material would you be using?

FF

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

That is a good looking boat,looks like a longer cabin than the drawing. It looks like it will be fairly efficient in terms of performance and economy,i like that it has decent width side decks. What construction method would you be using?
    Steve.

5. dobsong

dobsong Junior Member

Construction

Was hoping to use Australian timber with some plywood and some composite where needed

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

She's a carvel build, but could be converted to plywood over frames, which would make a stronger, lighter boat. You should consider having this conversion preformed (if desired). This is a typical Billy warped bottom, though does have a built down garboard in the aft sections. I own an Atkins of similar dimensions, though mine is a boxed keel and full displacement.

She will make a comfortable semi displacement cruiser with enough volume to hold your needs. It's narrow by modern standards, but this will permit considerable economy in operation. Of course styling ups dates could change the look dramatically.

7. dobsong

dobsong Junior Member

Styling Updates - Par

I like the look of this boat so I am not considering changing the "look" of her. The internal layout is close to what I want so guess that wont change a whole lot either.

I dont know a lot about "hydro-dynamics" so would be interested in any advice about "updating" the under water shape/profile to improve effieciency at my intended cruising speeds....
    - slow cruise 6 - 8 knots
    - normal cruise 12 - 14 knots
    - top speed.... I am hoping for around 18 knots

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Fuel use will rise substantially at 6 - 8 knots and she'll be "chasing her tail" (weird steering) at these speeds, but the rest of the speed range will be fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.