first time canoe rebuild.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by skully87, Jan 4, 2014.

1. skully87

skully87 New Member

First post and first rebuild.
    I have been reading a few differnt forums and ol' goolge. Figured it was time to sign up a couple places to ask some questions.

I picked up a fiberglass( looks to be woven) canoe to rebuild, something to fill my time and do some learning. And possable continuing hobby. I dont know alot about this canoe no brand or age information. Shes about 17foot long and roughly 34-36 inches wide.

Cost me $20 and a cruze with the kids. Its in rough shape and i mean rough. May have bit a little more than i can chew for a first time. But it will give me differnt arias of learning.

There are two rough patches unknown size. The guy said he over lapped alot on the repiar. There are some knicks and small gouges here and there, the gelcoat is toast will need to be stripped. It will need new seats center beam and bulk head tops.
    It needs some bulkhead repairs aswell i figure replace them insteam of "fixing".

It there anything i should keep a close eye on while sanding?
    How far can i strip it without it losing shape, keep a support in?
    I am storing it under the deck on supports, would it be fine if its stripped down?
    Where would i find maker info? Aria on the canoe i should carefull sanding incase of some sticker or mark?

The plan so far is to sand off paint and gelcoat .
    Remove all wood seats and the trim along the sides.
    See where im at what the patches and other possable damage. And Scounge around for some reclamed wood items.
    Its a bit difficilt for me to tell but she looks strait, has been threw alot and is begging to be brought back to life.
    Untill the weather clean up a bit maybe some warmth. Im going to be doing alot of reading and resurch with little work and gathering of supplys.

I will try and upload a few pictures tomorrow.

Excuse my missuse of lingo. And if not posted in correct place.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to remove the gel coat wholesale, just what's flaking off. Knock it down, to smooth it and provide tooth. The deep checks and cracks need to be opened (grinder) and reinforced if necessary. Fill the ground open cracks and smooth them. Next a good epoxy primer and paint, once you have her repaired and faired.

3. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

Happy year year everyone. PAR is right.

just sand until you are happy, putty bad spots (good exterior putty is fine unless you need a structural repair - then epoxy, thickened epoxy, and probably fiberglass cloth), more sanding - then pigmented primer paint - this will show spots that need more putty, sanding, repair (they show up much better with a uniform colored surface). When happy - paint. To keep costs down, I like ext latex on the inside, hardware store enamel on the outside and sovlent thinned epoxy followed by spar varnish (or paint) over any wood.

Paul Oman - MS. MBA
    A.K.A. “Professor E. Poxy”
    www.epoxyfacts.com
    epoxies since 1994
    Member: NACE (National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers) -- SSPC (Soc. of Protective Coatings)

4. skully87

skully87 New Member

There is at least one patch i will be opening up to repatch. The other one looks like it will be fine with sanding, well will know for sure one it has been sanded. Thank you on the tips for filler and painting. I will proboly end with a tan color for the inside to help keep it cool in the sun. Outside i am unsure so far lol.

I do have a couple pictures to upload, they are not the best but do give a bit of a look. The weather hasent been the best for me to pull it out and take better pictures.

Is there that tapatalk for this forum or would a photo host be better? Me and techno stuff dont get along to well and
    internet well all i have for use at the moment is my phone.

Hopefully the weather clears up and i have the chance to take some pictures for you all to look at.