spider Cracks?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by H20fwler, Aug 11, 2005.

1. H20fwler

H20fwler Junior Member

What is the proper way to fix spider cracks in jell coat on a fiberglass boat? These cracks are along the cabin section and not in structural areas. I think they are caused by sitting in the sun but it could be vibrations.

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

spider cracks are caused by stress in the glass. the only way to fix them right is to grind out and re-gell.sorry there is no easy fix.

3. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

Are spider cracks not usually just cracks in the gelcoat? As it is more brittle than the laminate, when something stresses the laminate too much such as flexing or something hard hitting the deck it cracks to resemble a web pattern. If the laminate seems ok then just grind the gel away and re do that spot. This is not to say that glass is not damaged but often it's just the gel.

Sometimes these spider cracks are in builders moulds too from accidental damage so the crack is then also moulded into each part made. You can tell if you look close. A moulded spider crack is nothing and could be cut and polished away.

4. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

In my experiance if you don't grind a small amount of the glass away the spider crack will return.

5. yipster

yipster designer

i have some smaller than the spiders cracks but they are way down on the list, pitty there is no easy cure...
    beside stres could it have anything to do with vinylester top / gel coat?

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

No, vinyester is flexible compared to standard polyester resin. I would clean the gelcoat out with laquer thinner and regell with thinned out gell and hope for the best. You may get lucky.

7. Guy G

Guy G Junior Member

John is right! I have see a million in my life time and you have to go into the glass work 7 out of 10 times. Depending on age and area. Also you may want to look at how it was built, is there porosity in the area you ground out. People have a habit of putting cabosil in their gelcoat when they may of had a thin spot in the spray up. If thats the case, you'll be chasing cracks.
    Good luck!

8. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Fwler,

Frequently, small cracks in the gelcoat is nothing to worry about, but it can be a sign of something being seriously wrong, it all depends on where they are and what they look like. Often, cracks are just a result of gelcoat being applied too thickly in the mold.

That said, a crack IS a local stress-riser and CAN work itself into the underlying laminate over time.

Yoke.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  9. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Jim,

Vinylester is not necessarily always stretchier than polyester, it depends on what it's formulated for, always read the documentation on materials carefully before using.

Yoke.

10. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

before grinding away, eliminate the stress concentration/sourse before hand. check for bulkheads behind, mechanical fastening etc near by. Often these act as a stress concentrator. Sometimes, Grinding away, laminating and repairing isnt the solution, as the cracks will come back. u need to elimate the problem before. perhpas theres a need to stiffen the backside of the laminate.

Many grp boat builds have numerious warantee issues. 50% of most boat manufactures do. the other 50% also do, but their customers havent noticed that they also have a problem.

11. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

super glue does the trick,take a blade and score along the cracks a couple of mils to make a v then put some superglue into the gap .theres even a superglue called gap filler just for this let dry and sand any high point then paint or gell i do this all the time in the boatshop what better to stick polyester together trust me it works.never had a job come back.some times the cracks are in the mold when they layup the boat from banging with hammers and so on and transfrere to the boat they sand and plosh them out before they sell it but sometimes come back just sand and polsh and see what happen first before you start cuting away on your boat

12. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

I've heard of numerous ways to find quick fixes for gel repairs but that takes the... What do you tell customers about the colour differential over cracked areas? - or do they accept that as the norm? I wouldnt like to place money on that bodge lasting - have you ever considered how the superglue would weather in respect to the gelcoat, provided it last? You are asking for warantee issues Jack? Superglue is relatively brittel. It has no elongation and would therefore fail.

Once the crack is been ground out, you can save time by blading (with a stanley blade etc) gel into the ground area. The blade helps to fair the surface, minimising the repair, which induces porosity at the surface.

13. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Thick gelcoat + UV will cause spider cracks

More data...

Structural flexing may not the only cause of spider cracks. My westsail, still in kit form, has spider cracks all over the deck. It has been sitting on the hard in the sun for the past 30 years. So structural flexing could not be the cause. Must have been the sun. We also determined the gelcoat was applied a bit thick at the factory, which did not help things.

Yes, the only sure "repair" is to grind/fair/paint.

Or find a way to cover it up as spider cracks are more of a cosmetic problem in most cases.

14. fiberglass jack

it works trust me after u fill the cracks paint the area use this in non structual area forfot to say that but get 2 pieces of fiberglass and glue them then try to pull them apart the glass will rip apart a better bond then resin loctite sells a glue called gapfiller which is a thick form of everyday superglue.

15. fiberglass jack

u can take a grinder and remove all the area and replace with glass and gell over the area. this is the best way .some shops use a dremel and put a putty into the removed areas then gell