28ft aluminum cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mcb2ms, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mcb2ms

mcb2ms New Member

I'm looking for a family type, trailerable aluminum cruiser. We really like the Bateau 27ft GT cruiser at:

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GT27&cat=27

I would want her in aluminum and I have the welding skills to build in metal. Wonder what kind of engineering issues I would run into with the the fiberglass stock plans and coverting to metal.
    Our perfect boat would cruise at 7-10 knots, sleep 4-6 comfortably, and have a drop ramp for beach landing, be durable but not work boat overbuilt, but still have work boat charisma.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless you are very knowledgeable, converting a design of fiberglass to aluminum will most likely fail. It is a difficult thing to do changing from a double curved surface to one with developed flat sections. You could make panels curved to follow the original lines, but working the aluminum with an english wheel or other tools will change the structure of the metal and you need to be able to calculate and inspect that too.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Taking a quick look at that boat, it is listed also as being available to build in ply, so I doubt the thing has any compound curvature.

4. mcb2ms

mcb2ms New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was concerned about compound curves, thats one of the things I liked about the Bateau design and what the layout has to offer. I was more concerned with the framing and how it would relate to the aluminum and extrusions. Obviously the right thing to do would be to contract an engineer to calculate it all and draw it up. However if I could afford that I wouldn't be looking at a simple design I think I could build myself.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I would really recommend contacting the designer. I don't see plans for building in ply, just glass over ply sandwich construction. This might not work in aluminium.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The conversion wouldn't be a difficult thing to make, though it's highly doubtful a novice would be able to preform the calculations necessary. Contact Jacques over at bateau.com and see what he thinks about the idea.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You didnt look very carefully - its ALL plywood. The only foam is the optional foam/plywood sandwich construction for the cabin roof.

I have a copy of the full set of plans.

It would translate to aluminium plate fine, but, engineering the scantlings would be required.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its not trailerable without an overwidth permit.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In Mississippi, the over size trailering permit is a 50 dollar bill and some paper work.

10. hairypup

hairypup New Member

Get hold of Kevin Hall in New Zealand He does cut files and stuff like that www.hydraline.co.nz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.