Speed Dream 27 Prototype

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Indeed, would be a fairer match up. The Welbourn DSS sportie would be a good marker too, as would the Bethwaite Sports 8 or Stealth 8. Might put some of the outrageous claims to rest though if the Speeddream met the multis too...

Incidentally (and off topic) Richard, do you have some pics and info about your Stealth dinghy? Maybe some build pics? If so would be good to see a new topic on it, always liked that boat! :D

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Speed Dream

Hey Andy, you looked ,huh?! Heres a link for you: http://www.mxspeeddream.com/speeddream_partners.html
    How wrong we can be-see the pdf below:

Attached Files:

3. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

That CFD package is for sail design, you wally, not for the boat itself. :D

So anyway about Moths: do you reckon an SD 27 should be able to beat a Moth?

If yes, by how much? If no, why not?

Since the AC45 is only a one-design trainer class and was never intended to be the fastest thing in the world, surely the SD27 should be able to blow off AC45's too, right?

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

It would seem Rodger Martin might be a better informant, depending on what a "COLLOBORATER" is

Richard Woods

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Speed Dream

==============================
    More info here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/moth-foils-31-4-knots-36mph-11209-93.html#post614451

6. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

So quoting yourself, and linking to a post that doesn't support your claim, is your answer? All you have really done is to say "Look at me! Look at ME! I don't have anything to back up my story but I still want to pretend I'm important!".

You do realise this is quite, shall we say, eccentric behaviour? If someone else behaved that way with you, what would be your opinion of them?

7. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program ...

Guys:

There is no point in further discussions regarding possible future performance claims regarding the SpeedDream boat(s) conceived by Mr. Murnikov. These discussions and the conflict/negative buzz they generate sure aren't helping Mr. Murnikov. He's got boat(s) to build, funds to raise and records to chase. He shouldn't have to post here until he's got something of substance to say.

Someday, the boat(s) will prove themselves one way or the other. This will depend on a lot of luck, effort and expense happening.

This discussion has devolved into the usual circuitous klusterfutz so frequently found in these threads. There are no facts in evidence. There is no data to analyse. No conclusions can be drawn - good or bad.

Arguing with people that operate on hype, faith, conjecture, rumours and their own previous posts instead of facts is pointless. You might as well try to nail Jello to a wall.

Let's wait for Mr. Murnikov to post real results from real tests against real measurable known boats. Once he does, then we'll have something to talk about.

--
    CutOnce

8. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Yes I know trying to be logical with Doug is a waste of time, but I was just having a few laughs. I figured if he wants to behave like a clown, people can get a few laughs out of him.

Maybe this thread should be locked until Vlad M has something to say solid about his boat.

9. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Thanks Doug, now that wasn't too hard now was it? I only asked about 20 odd pages ago, to be told by you that it was all a big secret, apparently. I must have missed that reference before, as I have been busy doing real boatbuilding (or rebuilding, in my case). Now if someone had pointed that link out before then I would have said 'that's interesting they used a RANS code (well, there's no confirmaion of that for the step), I wonder what they have found that goes against the grain of decades of full scale experience with other boats (Parlier's boat, the powerboaters etc) that makes them think it will work at the slower speeds of a monohull, and in a wide variety of conditions?' . THAT would have been a pertinent discussion, worthy of BoatDesign.net forums. All water under the bridge now though.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Speed Dream

Some new stuff in this nicely updated brochure for the SD27:

Attached Files:

11. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

What you mean is some new advertising hype, a couple of new pictures, and absolutely no new information at all.

12. Mulkari

Mulkari Junior Member

Looks kind of weird boat. It essentially is a catamaran with windward hull replaced with keel bulb and crossbeams replaced with keel strut. I can see some adwantage over a catamaran because of reduced aerodynamic drag, however the keel strut constantly htting waves and going in and out of the water also produces drag so it may cancel advantage gained by eliminating aero drag of one hull, crossbeams and netting.
    However big drawback compared to a similar sized catamaran is that it is not possible to move crew much to windward to increase stability. On small boats crew can make 30 - 50 % of weight and moving that weight out on trapezes on a catamaran will increase righting moment a lot. So a Spead Dream would be comparable to a catamaran with crew forced to sit on the trampoline without contributing much to a stability.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==============
    Don't forget that the probability is that the SD27 would likely be rightable by moving the keel-something not likely on a cat. But all these questions are why Vlad has built a prototype-testing is the key-what works stays what doesn't gets changed. It's an exciting project to follow!
    PS- welcome to the forum....

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Thanks for posting the video Doug.

There is no performance data given in this presentation so I do not have any comment that would add to this discussion.

Since the design concept is about performance and practically nothing else (despite some of the posts to the contrary in this thread), I await the numbers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.