Speed Coat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Guest, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Can anybody help me find out where to Buy Speed Coat or Speed Koat? Bottom surface paint. Has anyone had a large change in speed using this product? I live in Texas. Thanks! You can e-mail me at....... rocketjs2000@aol.com

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

There have been many coating products that claim to reduce "skin friction" but none that I am aware of has ever demonstrated any superiority over a smooth and fair surface. If they really worked, you can bet that the racing fraternity organizers would have outlawed them - and they haven't.

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

As Tom says, I was curious and tried one of the early teflon speed coats a few years ago which I sprayed onto my older 25' boat. It did keep the growth off so it was nice and clean at first, though after 2 1/2 months it was already losing it's effectiveness. As far as speed, in the 50-55 mph top speed range of the boat (depending on fuel weight/weather) I could not detect any improvement - maybe 1 mph but that was probably wishful thinking and really due to water/wave or engine conditions rather than the coating.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Guys

I really thought it might work. Oh well back to the wish book!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have contacted them. What you gain is very little. But there is a gain... I personally like Graphite, it sheds itself which inturn gets rid of some friction. APBA does not care about the running surfaces of their hulls. Advantages are part of racing, whether someone finds the advantage thats up to them. However decking a block, porting, and other HP work definatly is highly monitored and inspected for. The PWC racers must leave hulls stock and cannot touch them, which isn't the case with APBA OPC.
    Brian Tabara
    TCPBA High Points Champ
    Formula 2
    TabaraRacing.com
    brian@tabararacing.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.