Speed Boat on skis

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Poida, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I don't know how to link to another web article but on the front page of
    http://www.news.com.au there is an article about a new boat design that works on a ski.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Link to the article: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/...-new-275000-boat/story-e6frfq80-1226046690868 (Copied and pasted from the browser when the article was displayed.) Appears to be the only information available. A number of websites have the same text with a couple different photos of the same boat. Presumably a press release.

Flat bottom, parallel sided hull with upturned bow. Sides extend below the bottom and with a ski on the bottom of each side. At speed the skis appear to provide lift for the bottom to be clear of the water. Performance in waves could be interesting - for a short time.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thanks "D" is that how you do it. I knew that.:p

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

interesting boat poida, i have doubts about going offshore though.

5. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

What do you think the effects would be of one of those skis hitting a floating object at 120 KPH ie log, getting caught in a fishing float or a large marine animal (dolphin)?

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I'm not sure. It looks like they are about 6" out of the water in that picture, so if they hit something submerged it would be toward the back of the ski. The problem could be reduced by reshaping the leading edge of the skis and faring them into the hull so that there is no surface to catch on.

Hitting a log at 120 KPH is going to ruin your whole day pretty much regardless of what kind of boat you're on. I'm not sure that doing so in this would be significantly worse than doing so in a more conventional boat.

On the other hand, I'm also not sure what problem they're solving with this design.

8. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Curves and any form of craftsmanship are being "solved". Man, that thing is intentionally uglier than it needs to be. The designer must really hate the client.

This is an example of how one can spend the same amount of money to arrive at something horrible as they would spend to arrive at something beautiful. Refer back to the thread about "Can anyone design?".

--
    CutOnce

1 person likes this.
  9. rambat

rambat Member at large

Klem flying boat

At first I thought you were talking about the Klem "flying boat" I modeled the shape into 3/D and prepared the "plug" files for cutting. Also, created a Jetlike cockpit for a Miami Boat Show showing around 99-02 I think.

It was developed to have the fwd ski and ride on its own captured air bubble with some lift generated by its wing shaped body.

Looked like fun, not sure what happened to his plans to mass produce :)

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      132.3 KB
      Views:
    • klem3.jpg
      klem3.jpg
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Here is an image from New Zealand 1915 showing a speed boat with "tempoary planes" extended.
    Here we see RIVAL battling along with her planes extended. the developer dropped the idea as technology had not caught up with his ideas. You can imagine the ridicule he endured from the local establishment.
    From VINTAGE NEW ZEALAND LAUNCHES A WINKELMANN PORTFOLIO
    Harold Kidd and Robin Elliott
    And he could do it No Hands see.

RIVAL achieved 22.87 knots running a Model K 572 cu inch SCRIPPS 111 engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Striking a balance between aesthetics and efficiency is a big problem (as shown on these forums) and often aesthetics as a major hallmark can ruin a good idea.

13. intrepid71

intrepid71 Junior Member

Here is the website, including a video.

http://www.seaski.com.au/

It looks pretty effective. I don't think it would scale up very well to larger, more useful vessels, due to the square/cube law, but it looks like that little demonstrator moves along pretty well and even handles some seas.

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It finally dawned on me what that reminds me of!

It's based on the shuttles from the original Star Trek.

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Damn! You're right! Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.