newbuilder!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by newbilder, Jun 1, 2012.

1. newbilder

newbilder newbuilder

hi all hope yous can help me.....i am thinking of building my own boat and have never enbarked on a project like this. let me start by telling you what I plan on doing with it and why I'm here. I am a B.C interor still water fly fisher and was looking to buy, but in looking i was not happy with the boats i have seen. so i thought well i am good with wood, why not build my own! now i find myself here (also a first for me). I guess the first place to start is in the design. i have looked for a while now and and have seen many designs so many infact it has left me some what confused now!!! one that i am concidering is from Gator the big mama johnboat, but i would like to know what else is out there that my fit my needs.
    the details: simple to build,small (easy for one to load/unload), durable, made for 1 but able to carry up to 3, very stable(need to stand and cast), quiet on the water, no ribbing on the inside, rowable, and would like to put as much as a 6 horse outboard.
    I hope someone can help me in my new adventure!

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Welcome aboard, newbilder!

Sounds like you've got a good idea what you're looking for. What kinds of materials do you have experience with? While prior experience isn't essential, it is a good place to start and if you've spent 20 years as a welder I wouldn't recommend a wooden boat, or vice versa.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome newbilder. Wood makes good boats. Have fun. Use the correct wood for the application. Some wood doesn't work well with epoxy and some wood is resistant to rot so do your research first. Good luck and good fishing. The john-boat sounds like a good choice for a first build as it has simple lines and plans.

4. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Newbuilder,
    If you click at "Boat Design directory" at the top of the page you will find a link to boat plans. Look through them and see if any of the boats appeal to you. When you have a few candidates, ask this forum for opinions and advice.

I agree with your preference for wood. Wood is a good choice for small boats, light and strong. The modern way, which negates the negative aspects of wood, is to combine wood with epoxy and glass to seal and protect the wood.

I'm sorry I'm not able to advice you on a specific boat.

Erik

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Sounds like a simple flattie will do the job. For the sake of quiet when parked, choose a design where the forefoot is immersed, Bolger and others lift his forefoot above water, it is noisy at anchor and underway. Michelak and others let the forefoot down a ways, does not not turn as easily, is less affected by crosswinds, and is not as noisy. This type can be twitchy when quartering waves or wakes.

There is a 16 foot flattie in my garage that weighs 120 pounds. (6 and 9 mm okumee) Easy one man loading and unloading. Rows sweetly, Small electric troller makes it go 5MPH. Would make a nifty fly fishing boat I think. I use it single handed but it could handle another fisherman no problem. It sails very well also.

I'll bet Par has a plan set for a simple boat such as this.

6. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

< To keep the discussion together, the identical threads have now been merged. Thanks. >

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

In addition to what has been said above, many of the plans available require only simple hand tools and a circular saw to build. Nothing difficult about them. Do a search on the internet for boat plans and you will get many hits. Suggestion: try Bateau.com. But don't go cheap on the wood, you will regret it. After a few years it looks shabby and has to be sanded and re-epoxied. Use good Marine Plywood and it will last a long time.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

The Canadian made fir marine grade plywood is worth the price. You can build a very stout, versatile, 16 footer for six hp. I'd look for a hull that weighs about 300 pounds when complete. An epoxy skin of 10 oz glass and some paint and it will outlast you with basic maintenance.

I think ply over frame is the most intuitive way to build your first boat; so some simple stick frames might be required. Stitch and glue takes a bit more faith that you will eventually end up with the thing you aimed for. Good luck. Don't be scared of ribbing. It's really one of the simpler things to get your head around.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Agreed. I found plywood on frame to be the simplest method for me, using 1x1 or 1x2 strips.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.