spectra vs kevlar?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sigurd, Feb 18, 2009.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

I have a question.
    Consider a cored slender hull. You have one layer fabric each side. Obviously one of them should be 0'/90'. Does it make sense to skew the other to +-45' or is it better to keep the two layers in the same direction?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

The answer is yes...............
    I used Glassmat for core simulation, but the result is the same with foam core (not the figures naturally).

Attached Files:

3. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Thanks, good idea. Doesn't seem unlikely to me. But i haven't seen any examples of laminates using different bias each side of the core. Have you?

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

No, Sigurd.
    But that does not mean that much, you know I´m building in wood / EP only. So, what have I seen?

5. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Coal soot? Rot? :) I asked because I am getting a 180gsm 2/2 twill with 50/50 carbon/dyneema, which will likely be enough each side of the corecell (which is on its way!) for structure. If I only could remember what it was that I was going to build... Must have been something highly fashionable.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

You should read: HOW MUCH ABOUT THIS SUBJECT HAVE I SEEN!!! NOT TOO MUCH, AT LEAST NOT ENOUGH THAT IT WOULD COUNT!!!
    was that clear?
    Coal, soot, and rot, yes on my steamers I had enough of all.
    On my production boats rot is no issue, we saturate the veneer almost completely. Coal and soot yes, fumes too, sometimes customers emit such stuff if we present the bill.
    180gsm 2/2 Twill??? what means 2/2 in this case?
    Cannot comment your last sentence, I still do not know what you are going to build!!!???

Regards
    Richard

7. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

I understand. 2/2 twill means 2 over, one under, 2 over, etc in the weave - in both directions.. 0' and 90'.
    From what I read, such weave is looser, but more easily conformed to curves, than plain weave (over, under, over...) The fibers also gets less kinks than PW - making it more fatigue resistant and giving it more compression strength.
    http://www.sollercomposites.com/fabricchoice.html

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks I got it, come back to subject later at night.
    Regards
    Richard

9. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

If you are interested in further opinions on the subject of asymmetric laminates, see this SA thread.

10. lymanwhite

lymanwhite Junior Member

Interesting information. We used kevlar as an abraison layer just inboard from the outer skin, on the main hull of a carbon over end grain balsa tri.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.