spay rails shape/position

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greekfleet, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Greekfleet

Greekfleet Junior Member

Hi to all of you guys-designers-boatbuilders etc.I would like to start a conversation about the configuration of the spray rails that are used in all planing hulls in order to reduce the wetted surface area and also the whisker spray area.I ve read some things in the ¨principles of yacht design¨ and also in a paper that can be downloaded ¨
    INCLUSION OF “WHISKER SPRAY” DRAG IN PERFORMANCE PREDICTION METHOD FOR HIGH-SPEED PLANING HULLS ¨D.SAVITSKY
    I believe that we are all interested to learn more about this usefull ¨tool¨

2. Greekfleet

Greekfleet Junior Member

question

Why some designers prefer to put the spray rails in line with the waterlines (vertical sections) and other in line with buttocks (longitudinal sections)?In the first case the rails end to CL and in the second in to chine.

3. koanda

koanda Junior Member

i have these questions toooo..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.