SP Systems "Sprint" technology anyone?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ErikG, Nov 13, 2002.

1. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

2. yipster

yipster designer

SPRINT® - Taking the cost out of composites

3. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Bump!

Anyone? :?:

4. yipster

yipster designer

:?:

:?: EricG / Anyone?

i was at a bissy METS show today. got some info on AIRex and DIVINIL alternativ's THATS WHAT I LIKE HEARING:)

so lots of bumps today incl. SPRINT and your reply here now.

PARABEAM is not directly to make a hull with, its more like honeycomb, but with a much larger smooth surface area that also can be sandwiched, matted, some 3d also, for interior or superstrucktures etc. dont think its directly for vacuum bagging like SPRINT but for sure a different interesting sandwich! :idea: [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. yipster

yipster designer

on parabeam i should ad that it comes in millimeters to centimeter(s?) thick. cost is something like $5 square meter. the sandwich stands up thanks to a capilar action to the resin and is also used for multihulls and by sunseeker for some applications i hear...
    :)

6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I don't get the whole idea of Parabeam. If you fill this whole thickness with resin, you've got a really lousy fiber/resin ratio and a very heavy core. The center of a beam is heavily loaded in shear, and if the resin is applied just to the face portions of a Parabeam sandwich, I don't see how the vertically oriented fibers will resist shear. If they were crisscrossing at 45 degrees, then it might be a different story.

So my intuition says that a Parabeam reinforcement is not a very stiff or weight-conscious way to build primary structure.

Anybody got any data, one way or the other?

7. yipster

yipster designer

As I understood it only the hollow fibers get filled with resin by a capilair reaction leaving the space between open and filled with air like a honeycomb. How? Air inside a laminate (as with a honeycomb) is reason for not carrying a full certification by the industry for boat hulls?

Came close to trying it out and I should have. It’s a tricky concept and even with air inside I’ve been wondering about the (light)weight. It is used also as sandwich panels in truck floors etc. so it must be strong. The thicker quality’s I was informing for indeed would be better of with a 45 degree weave I agree.

contact Jurgen Koot jkoot@parabeam.nl at http://www.gammaholding.nl/parabeam/index.htm i found him a proffesional and more than pleasant man to talk with, and I am sure he can clarify these questions as I still have also. i asked him some more info. Its innovative but how well suited for multihull building -as he mentiont was done- I don’t know.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.