South African seeking advise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Zeanne, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Zeanne

Zeanne Zeanne

I have recently graduated with a Bachelor of Architectural studies degree and have been working in a small firm for the past year. I have a dream to persue yacht interior design, but being from Cape Town, South Africa, there is no such course offered here.

I have begun to research the possibility of doing a correspondance course through Weslawn in Yacht Design "light". I would like to know if this is a viable option pertaining to my degree and my dream?

Could anyone please guide me or offer me some advice on the subject?

regards
    Zeanne

2. rlackey

rlackey Junior Member

Hi Zeanne!

I'm also in Cape Town! I plan on enrolling on the full Westlawn course later this year. From what I understand it is more concerned with the engineering side of things than interior layout and design, but I'm sure it's a part of the whole curriculum.

I have also been less than impressed by the offerings of local universities in terms of training and education specific to the marine industry.

I don't have much help to give you, but I wanted to say hi from a fellow Capetonian!

Rich

3. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Zeanne, first you ought to read a bit on boat design (exterior/hull type stuff). But good luck!

4. Zeanne

Zeanne Zeanne

hey

Thats awsom! so cool to hear from someone close to home! I think doing the light course will just be giving me some background information on yacht design in general- an idea, which can't be pointless- suppose so that I can understand the outside befor I design for the inside?!

It's strange how there isn't much offered here in terms of yacht design, since a lot of actual building is done in SA- Good luck, though- have you done any design courses at all?

Let me know when you start your course- be interesting to hear how you find it!

Your fellow Capetonian!
    Zeanne

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Perhaps the reason why so few opportunities in yacht design exist is because the designs are imported by S.A. builders from other nations. Labor is probably a bit cheaper so that's a possible explanation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.