Boatbuilding Opportunities - One View

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DCockey, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Stephens-Waring Yacht Design of Belfast, Maine recently published a short interview with Drew Lyman, President of Lyman Morse, a boat builder and yard based in Thomaston, Maine. Lyman Morse builds custom and semi-custom pleasure boats / yachts up to about 70 feet in length in composites, aluminum and cold molded wood. They are currently building the first four Bertram 35's.

In response to "What opportunities do you see in straight-up boatbuilding in next 3 to 5 years?"

Drew Lyman responded "I’m seeing a growth in the market for semi-custom builds. While some people relish the custom experience, many people are fearful of taking on a custom project. It is not a question of money or time. People want to buy the largely existing boat. It is proven and it is running. We see ourselves tapping into that. We want to strike the right balance that brings that custom feeling to the production boat.

I am looking at a semi-production boat in the $1.5- to $2.5-million range. That’s the future.
    "

The entire interview is at http://stephenswaring.com/whats-drew-got-to-say-about-it/

More about Lyman Morse at http://www.lymanmorse.com/

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I won't be a customer.

$1.5M + !!!!

Sometimes it becomes very apparent I'm not as smart as I thought I was. :D

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.