Bayliner 175 cracks

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by havaman, Jul 5, 2004.

1. havaman

havaman New Member

Hello,

I bought a Bayliner 175 last Feb, and have had it in the water about 10 hours. There are no performance issues, it seems to be a good boat. However, I have a question. When I take out my jump seats in the back, I noticed some cracks in the resin covered wood under the seat (starboard quarter). There are similar cracks in the resin covered wood on the platform the gas tank sits on (port quarter). Anyone else notice this? Is this bad, or is it a non-structural area that won't lead to floor/stringer rot??

2. FL7325

FL7325 New Member

I'm considering buying an '06 Bayliner 175. Did you ever get a reponse to this post? I'm wondering if the cracks got worse or if a bigger problem developed.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is typical of polyester resin covered wood. The wood swells, shrinks and bends more than the resin. It allows moisture in. You can paint over it for protection.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.