Formula 255 Liberator

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Prater, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Prater

Prater Junior Member

I have one heck of a project going. This is a 1979 Formula 255 Liberator that has been striped. It was free to me and I have just started playing. I have the bottom supported and ready to cut everything out and start from scratch. I plan to repower with twin 500HP mercs with Borg Warner trannies and TRS outdrives. I have filled the portholes and plan to fill the hatches and make a fairing instead of windshield. The thing I dont like is how tall the transom is. Can someone give me some ideas to make the transom a bit more attractive than just chopped off like it is? Also I have thought about cutting in a pad but I can not find enough information about handling. I may just blueprint the hull instead. The overall length is 25' 5" and 8' beam with a 3' draft.

I will have several questions as I get started, as soon as the weather cooperates...

Attached Files:

2. Prater

Prater Junior Member

Here is a finished 255.

Attached Files:

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Building a "molded in" swim platform would break up the transom, making it appear more streamlined, otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it. Nice project!

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Can't wait to see how your project progresses - hope you'll continue to post photos as it moves along :)

Looking at the waterline, I'm sure this transom looks a lot better at rest in the water than on the trailer... and with the new engines, it will be moving fast enough and kicking up enough of a wake that no one will notice the transom anyway ;)

5. Prater

Prater Junior Member

I just came across a 357 SR1 Formula that just needs a few things repaired and some TLC. I feel I stole the boat so I will be giving this project away if anyone is interested.

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ports,,,I like the way you filled them in,,I (personenly dont like ports near the waterline.),,,,,,,,you obviously have a seafaring background,good , yes , I know they arent that close , but water pressure is tremendes, and in rough seas it could be a factor,,,,,longliner

7. Prater

Prater Junior Member

Here is my new project...The top pic is one with the old owner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bill Kubiak

Bill Kubiak Junior Member

I hope you have the title to the boat, the DMV gave me a nighmare for months when I rebuilt that little tunnel hull and did not have a title and tried to register it. They have hurdle after hurdle for you to jump thru when you try to do things right.

9. Prater

Prater Junior Member

Clear tittle at the bank.

10. Bill Kubiak

Bill Kubiak Junior Member