Outdrive ratio??

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Joka, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Joka

Joka New Member

I am in the process of getting my boat back on the water. My previous outdrive locked on me and I am in need of a rebuild. I have an '86 Sea Ray with a Merc 120 and the ratio is supposed to be 1.94:1 (i think).

Question:
    I found an outdrive that is affordable at a ratio of 1.98:1 which is for the merc 140. Does the .04 really make a difference? I also have no idea which size prop would work for me if I have changed the ratio. Last question, I have always preferred a 4 blade prop; could that have been the reason for my lock up on the last drive?

Any help is welcome!

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

You will see absolutely No difference between a 1.94 and a 1.98 ratio - perhaps only 30 or 40 rpm at WOT. A 4 bladed prop will not cause a gearbox lookup. Lockup can only be caused by bearing, etc, failure do to inadequate lubrication or possibly incorrect shift linkage adiustment.

Jango

3. Joka

Joka New Member

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. I did change the gear lube in the outdrive about 2 weeks prior to the lock up. I took the advice of my local boat parts sales man who had helped me in the past. He had told me there were two different types of lube, one i think was amber and the other yellow, warned me about using the wrong one. My father-in-law and I spent about an hour trying to decide which color the lube was, since it was brown it could have gone either way. I don't even remember which color we ended up using.

My next problem is I got my engine checked after I lost the outdrive and my mechanic told me the engine ran but only at 20% compression. So along with the drive replacement I need a rebuild. What is a normal rate for a merc 120 rebuild? I am a bit of a sucker since I am inexperienced at engine repair.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Not familar with costs for your engine rebuild. Since your "mechanic" is suggesting what amounts to at least a Re- Ring job, costs could be signicant.

If the Engine gets anywheres near normal WOT rpm (4000)while under load, it should be OK as is.
    I would get more opinions on what if anything is required. A compression check should cost less than $50 and will tell you if the engine is truly running at "20%" compression.

5. Joka

Joka New Member

Thanks Jango, will do! It seemed odd to me that my engine and outdrive went at the exact same time, so I will definitely get a second opinion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.