Please critique my project

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mischievous, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mischievous

mischievous New Member

My intent is to build a one off low profile duck skiff type craft. However I want to use it as a flats fishing boat. I have built wood duck skiffs before. One was a frame and skin type, the other a stitch and glue type. What I have in mind is to use 1/2" thick XPS foam to build a hybrid stitch and glue hull. Then laminate it. The wet lay up would be 2 layers of 6 Oz on the interior and 2 6 Oz plus 2 CF layers on the exterior. In the keel area I would add 2 layers of 12" wide Kevlar. Glass / CF / Kevlar / Glass then fair with mircoballoons. I plan on bagging the laminate, using Tafita as a release cloth, quilt batting and visqueen for a vac bag. After the basic hull is done add interior partitions and then topping it. All using the same basic methods as the hull.

I envision getting some wood veneer for the top and laminating it with crystal clear epoxy over the glass. I am trying to get a wood look on the top deck.

So ?????

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

There's no point mixing CF and Kevlar with glass, anyway not without accurate calcs of the laminate schedule.. If you wan't more strength better choice would be using S- glass or Basalt multiaxials. Also the schedule sounds a bit thin IMO so I'd use 0-45+45 8oz each all over and 2*6oz more for the bottom (no calcs done.. just my quess)
    Veneer on top just adds weight .. so might get the look using wood on the gunwhales only.
    BR Teddy

3. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

The plastic films (think car window tinting) are getting pretty good. And I'll bet you can get them in many wood patterns or have your own pattern printed.

And XPS needs epoxy resin, in case you did not know already. :)

Lurvio

4. mischievous

mischievous New Member

Teddy, Thanks for the input. As I said, I have built this boat before. It is a Hybrid of an Aurther Armstrong Broadbill. The original deisgn specified a Mahogany Frame with 1/4" Plywood skin. My first was per spec. I then built one from 3/8" ply in stitch and glue. Both were glassed with 2 layers, exterior only, for moisture resistance only. There is merit to your layup schedule concerns and not having enough material. This is where I become igronant. I am using some fabric I currently have so... My thought was to use the 200 CF, I have, to make the hull the little stiffer. The Kevlar is simply because I have it and think it might help the keel line resist a little abrasion. The veneer is strictly on the deck and for look pretty only.

So how would I go about calculating a lay up schedule. This project is a significant jump in my knowledge.

Lurvio, the thin plastic film applied by the manufacturer prevented a good laminate bond. I think it is polyethelene. Epoxy 100% and I have typically used West Systems but will be looking for something more economical.

FYI - 14 ft length, 6 ft beam, 1.5 ft at transom, 15 Hp engine

Thanks for the input.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

In that size you are building the main concern with cored stucture is how well the skins stand against puncture. So you can do few test pieces and test them with expected hits they may get..