idea?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by angryfish, Jul 4, 2012.

1. angryfish

angryfish New Member

Hello, I'm new on here so please bare with me as I haven't had a good look around yet. I've seen some of your hydofoil sailing vessels (especially the trimaran versions) and wondered if the same principles could be applies to a kayak (modifying a GRP one) using a traction kite (bolted to the hull) for propulsion, rather than a mast and rigging? If anyone's tried it, I'd be most interested to hear you stories, or if anyone would like to offer any design/construction input that too would be a great help! Fair winds.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Idea !! Its silly but it could work !!

Might need to stand up in the Kayak like a kite boarder if you try it and if we never hear from you again it must have worked ,sort of . Just need to find a way to turn round to get home again !! so take a months supply dried food with you and a change of undies you might need them !!!:D

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I guess it would work, but as pointed out above, not sure how you would get back since it would only work on down wind runs. I would see such a contraption taking a lot of skill to keep balanced, and would not be very maneuverable (it would drop off the foils when you made any turns). So, would you just paddle the kayak back up wind after a down wind run?

When not up on the foils, they just make more drag in the water. Go look at the Youtube clips of foiler moths sailing, fast but looks very difficult to maintain foil speed.

Might be a fun experiment, wear a helmet, a dry suit, and go have fun. Post pictures here when you have a successful run.

5. angryfish

angryfish New Member

Those Moths just about sums it up, they look absolutley unreal. As for the foils making drag it appears that they can be folded and locked in to position, so could make them in to an integral part of the hull?! As for travelling close to the wind, I believe some kites have an inflateable rib which acts as an airborn mast, failing that, get the tides and everything right, can go with the tide and back with the wind, or just paddle. The floats (I think they're called armurs, clarrification required please) would be positioned forward and aft so that the paddling area wouldn't be compromised... I've got a motorcycle helmet, floatation suit, life jacket, flares, radio and life insurance ready to go. Thanks for your input guys.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

DONT FOR GET THE DRIED FOOD AND YA UNDIES !!:eek:

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

check out the Flyak