Something i had not seen for long time !!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, Jul 12, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Are you a thinker ??

Old farts are not beyond learning new stuff and they are not beyond teaching new stuff either !! .
    i am at a loss most of the time at the lack of common sense and know how of people even half my age in any race !! Some have degrees in all kinds of things i never heard of that have absolutly nothing to do with the job they hold and are some of the dumbest asses on the planet !
    i have found working with asians in general they dont have the ability to look any further than one or the exception two steps ahead of themselves . And as for forward planning forget it ! if the steps are not written on paper tomorrow is a complete mystery like where did this come from ??.
    what they are shown and learn today is gone and mostly forgotten when they arrive the next morning !!.
    If you plan a days work in advance ,next morning they're just standing around watching and waiting to be prodded with a cattle prod to be shocked into motivation .Seems to be the way of the world unfortunately yes we do have the odd thinker but the are very thin on the ground !!:confused:

2. OFFSHORE GINGER

OFFSHORE GINGER Junior Member

To make a long story short it is called Solvent popping which most likely can have a few different cause's .

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Maybe solvent popping :eek:on your side of the ocean but since i can remember its always been known as porosity !:confused:

4. OFFSHORE GINGER

HA HA HA , And maybe tunnels is the new APEX 1 , in the making considering he seems to know it all , in a very rude way considering post 16 says it all, and to tell you the truth Porosity can be caused by Entrapped air / wrong air preassure ,or Gel coat thickness ( milliage )which should not exceed 24 mills wet that should be applied using 18 (+2) mils , wet . Applying in 2-3 passes and for pin holes...... usally the cause is insufficent atomization ( SOLUTION ) Too high of a gel coat delivery rate . Not enough atomizing preassure . Low viscosity .

5. OFFSHORE GINGER

Tunnel's just a quick mention , and yes it is still called porosity even on this side of the pond , and when i mentioned solvent popping i was referring to a term often used when a boat is painted using base coat / clear coat .

1 person likes this.

6. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

We call it catalyst fizz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.