Someone has got to do the dishes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

My Saturday afternoon project. My family had a DishMaster "Imperial" when I was a kid, and I loved it.

Before
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dishmaster - Imperial............................they still make them, but not in the gold. Looks like an old tube powered HH Scott stereo to me.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/retro/2007/10/28-week/
    [​IMG]

http://www.dishmaster-faucet.com/modelm76.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.tmnews.com/stories/2008/01/16/news.nw-500808.tms
    Since 1948, still made in the USA!

This device was part of a vast conspiracy to get kids to help out with the dishes by making doing the dishes fun.

This is the worlds first dishwasher, and it say's so on the box; "Dishwashing Machine".

With the growth of the water starved SW, changes in rainfall and people being told not to use their dishwashers (to save water), perhaps we will be seeing more of the "Imperial Four".

I cut up my hand pretty badly on a broken glass over a year ago, the wand on this thing makes that far less likely to happen again. I lost a week of work and could of lost use of my hand from nerve damage. I got lucky, did not even get stiches, but I have the scar and it's sensitive sometimes.

I do most of the cooking and dishes at my house. My wife does the laundry and house cleaning. The DishMaster is my toy.:D

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

my ole lady says that has too many gadgets,,,,,she prefers her pail and lava rocks fer scrubbers ;)

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Hey! that's gonna look cool in my boat:D Which threads it fits:?:

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

American standards, 8" O.C. with three different size supplies that can be fitted to it - (3/8" copper is what I reused - I think) all common sizes anyway.

The unit can be deck mounted as shown or wall mounted to save space.

Sinks can be two, three or four holes. With the four hole unit you don't have the rubber water/soap cord laying around, the wand fits and recoils into the fourth hole, but my shelf above the sink prevents me from using this special order option.

I posted this thinking it would be good on a boat.

Last thing you want is to struggle with rubber gloves to wash a glass, or cut yourself when the boat gets rocked by waves.

The brush and wand has a button to dispense soap with (no flying soap bottles), a unsecured sponge is one less thing to to have flying around and land on the floor.

In my opinion it does everything one could ask of it except dry the dishes. I grew up with a unit like this, it's kid safe - at least by old standards.;)

EDIT: I think you can spray yourself in the face with this thing if you so choose to. Not a bad feature in an emergency, but it's not officially an emergency wash down per OSHA standards.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Plumming is one of the few things we use imperical units here:) Reckon it's a bit more than $39.50 in sale too..

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

That price was in 1965, the price in 2008 is $150, and it's still made in the USA.:)

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Mmmm..... yup that surely will save our designer hand if the almighty wife force us as a dishwasher slave...

Hand is a wonderful part of our sense... we can feel the grime oil and micro food that stick to the plate...

In Asia , I thing wife dowery is cheaper then the gadget...

anyway nice stuff to know... :D:D:D

8. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Yes, we must be practical!
    Of course, one must factor in the costs of maintenance.

1 person likes this.

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Gimmicky - I have a dishwasher already, she just doesn't like to be called that!! Probably more expensive but she does have other uses, if I remember rightly!!