Do wooden boats go to heaven ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by MikeJohns, Sep 5, 2006.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

This tribute to her designer and builders was a fine old Halibut schooner the "Western" was built 1924 by Sagstad Moberg. Finally condemned for rotten ribs and uneconomic to re-build she was smashed to kindling and carted off to landfill in California in 2003 she had been purchased for a conversion but failed survey.

The photo is dramatic, her stem seems to signify her final resolute defiance to this indignity.

(from the National Fisherman March 2003)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

Of course, they do. Don't worry, she'll be fine in a much better place.

What do you think all of us pirates, of past and present will sail around in? Kind of a 'no-brainer' when you really think about it.

Plus, I heard directly from the Vatican, that Heaven is a bit sluggish coming around to composite technology (Yep, I sent the Pope an email).

Mike

Beautiful boat BTW

1 person likes this.
  3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Absolute indignity. I love dying wooden boats getting rotted at beaches or river banks, with their ribs showing up slowly with time, like if they were some kind of marine elephants...Much more adequate and romantic, in my opinion.

Attached Files:

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Not all wooden boats go to heaven. Maybe just a splinter group.:eek:

5. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Yes, very poignant (hope I spelt the right). There is a Japanese word for that type of picture. I think it's called Wabi Sabi as I understand it's the style of photograpghy showing a decay whilst still conjuring up the idea of the life that was.

I also like photo's of boats sitting partially dry at low tide waiting for the tide to come in, one I particularly liked was a small little boat floating but landlocked in it's pwn little puddle whilst it was exposed sand bars all around it at low tide.

Sorry getting off topic.

Mychael

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Wooden boats don't go to heaven - they ARE heaven in their own right (so maybe they go back home at the end)!:cool:

7. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

:rolleyes:
    Just hell to keep nice and in good repair. lol

Mychael

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.